Bulges, sags and weight loss worries, meet your match as "The Doctors" talk show became "The Fat Show" on November 4. From Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien's comfort foods that will satisfy your cravings without guilt to non-surgical and surgical ways to fight fat, we've got the skinny below.
We all love comfort foods, but we loathe the guilt. Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien solved that calorie conundrum by dishing with "The Doctors" about her recipes that keep the flavor and cut the fat from her cookbook "Hungry Girl to the Max!: The Ultimate Guilt-Free Cookbook" (click for details).
To satisfy the sweet tooth of E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork, Lisa served up Death-by-Chocolate Brownies. “For those of you who don’t know, brownies are my guilt food!" Travis confessed. Try Lisa's recipe below.
- 1 sugar-free chocolate pudding snack with 60 calories or less
- 1/3 cup chocolate frosting
- 2 tablespoons light chocolate syrup
- 1 box moist-style devil’s food cake mix (15.25 to 18.25 ounces)
- One 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. In a medium bowl, mix pudding, frosting and syrup. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix cake mix, pumpkin and chocolate chips. (Batter will be thick.) Spread mixture into baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Let cool completely. Evenly spread pudding mixture over brownies. Refrigerate until topping is set, about 15 minutes.
In addition to Lisa's culinary delights, "The Doctors" featured an alternative to liposuction that doesn't involve surgery. The i-LipoXcell uses lasers to literally melt fat from their cells.
Just as with surgery, the results are immediate, with one inch lost during a 20-minute treatment. However, the new technology doesn't mean that you can give up on dieting and exercising
"You still have to diet and exercise to keep the weight off," says plastic surgeon Dr. Jon Perlman. "But within six to 10 minutes, the cells are 100 percent deflated."
What are the advantages of choosing laser treatments over liposuction? Dr. Perlman emphasizes that liposuction involves surgery, which results in recovery time and pain. In contrast, he says that neither recovery time nor pain is involved in the Xcell.
"When combined with diet and exercise, the i-Lipo treatment actually treats those difficult areas and gets triple the inch loss," added Dr. Perlman.
However, "The Doctors" co-host and plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon noted that in some cases, plastic surgery is the best alternative. As an example, he talked with 31-year-old Felicity, who lost more than 100 pounds through exercise and diet.
Now Felicity is faced with loose, excess skin that she feels makes her want to hide her new body. In addition to her appearance, she's concerned with the uncomfortable, heavy sensation of that excess skin, which sometimes causes rash and itchy skin.
Dr. Ordon says it's important to talk with a plastic surgeon in such cases about the different options available for removing the excess skin.