Blaming Twitter for theft is ridiculous

izzyvideo200px.jpg

Isreal Hyman blames Twitter for theft

Commentary

Blaming Twitter for a home theft because you tweeted your vacation progress is just ridiculous.

Isreal Hyman is getting lots of press, inflammatory and sensational press, about a theft from his home.

Hyman thinks it's because he has 2000 followers and tweeted

"preparing to head out of town," that they had "another 10 hours of driving ahead," and that they "made it to Kansas City."

As they were cruising from Mesa, his home, to Kansas City, his home was burguled. Hyman runs an online video business called IzzyVideo.com

"My wife thinks it could be a random thing, but I just have my suspicions," he said. "They didn't take any of our normal consumer electronics." They took his video editing equipment.

Here's why this doesn't pass the smell test:

• criminals don't want to work that hard: following a victim, searching his website or ISP for a home address.
  • criminals aren't that smart.
  • what a better way to promote your business than blaming the hottest thing on the planet? What TV station isn't going to cover this wall-to-wall?
  • why would the criminals just take his video editing equipment?
  • his wife thinks it's bogus.

The cops say don't leave an answering machine message explaining that you are on vacation, don't let newspapers pile up at your door (remember newspapers?), have someone collect your mail and packages that may be left on your doorstep, don't set an auto email response that you are on vacation.

"I'm amazed at how many people get on there and say they're going on vacation," said Lee Struble, head of security at Monroe Community College in Rochester, N.Y.

Stuble is old, 53, and in the security business. It's his generation's job and his salaried job to scare the uneducated masses. This is his job security.

He adds another popular buzzword to the mix: Google maps!

"Some of these people you aven't seen in 20 or 30 years," said Struble. "But they know where you live or can find out pretty easily, they can do a Google Maps search and can get directions to your house, and you're telling them that you're going to be gone."

Izzy Hyman said he uses Twitter and social nets to market his business (spammer) but

"I forgot that there's an inherent danger in putting yourself out there."

He forgot. The person who makes his money  via the internet, posts videos, hosts videos, uses Facebook and Twitter forgot that the internet is a wild and wooly place.

Puh-leeze, this just doesn't pass the smell test.

Detective Steven Berry of the Mesa Police Department, which is investigating the burglary at Hyman's home, said: "You've got to be careful about what you put out there. You never know who's reading it."

A real person, who makes his living from social media, puts all in the proper perspective:

"I don't worry about it," said David McCauley of Boise, a social media consultant who posts a running update of his activities for his Facebook friends. McCauley also communicates constantly on Twitter, where anyone can sign up to read your posts.

"If somebody really wanted to rob me, they could rob me whether they're Tweeting about it or not," McCauley said. "Most people who want to follow you (on Twitter) are typically not thieves, or they're not looking to take your stuff; they just want to follow you and understand you."

BTW: David McCauley of Boise, ID will be offering a description, via Twitter, of a trip to adopt a child overseas.

"In the grand scheme of all the noise that's out here on the Internet and in Facebook and Twitter, there's so much going on that it would be hard for somebody to zero in on me, looking for me to be gone," he said. "I'm just not worth that much."

For more info: Mercury News
More about abusing Twitter:

Comments

• Izzy Video 5 years ago

Interesting post. :-)

You got a couple significant things wrong though. They're important to correct. I'm not a spammer. If you look at my Twitter posts, you'll see nothing that looks like spam. In fact, I use Twitter as a way to dialogue with my audience.

Maybe you didn't have a chance to visit my Twitter page before writing this article?

Overall, I agree with what you're saying. There's a high chance that the theft and the tweets are unrelated, but it's strange that they didn't take any consumer electronics. They only took my video editing system, which suggests they were after that specific item.

Also, I never contacted the Press. One of my followers did, and then the press contacted me. I've gotten several phone calls. They're all incoming.

Anyway, that should hopefully clarify the couple facts you got wrong. I don't blame you for being suspicious - I would be too. But some of your speculation in this case isn't accurate.

All the best,

Izzy

• JD 5 years ago

I am a follower/fan of Izzyvideo and Isreal and find no valid information or anything that remotely represents fact in this article.
    Right down to the supposed "smell tests." (Criminals don't want to work hard: if they are an Izzy follower, they didn't. Criminals aren't that smart: neither are most on-line "journalists" yet articles like this still get posted. Promotion: Puh-leez. Only taking video editing gear: this SPECIFICALLY points at a follower of a guy whose livelihood revolves around video editing. His wife thinks it's bogus: who doesn't want to believe in the best in people?)
    This article would have been better written if it had even a toe in dipped in the waters of reality.

• Brandon 5 years ago

This is some pretty low-quality, lazy commentary. Heaven forbid you come up with a different angle, or get in touch with the subject himself.

At what point did he blame Twitter or even imply it was Twitter's fault? He acknowledges that he chose to post his vacation plans, and now questions his judgment on that. But you say he blames Twitter? Dishonest writing there.

And how do you conclude that he is a spammer? What is that based on, the fact that he makes his business online? Honestly? You feel comfortable labeling him like that?

You could have easily written a column that suggested Hyman is monumentally naive to put so much of his private life online. It would have been a hallmark lesson to your readers and you'd appear credible. Instead, you littered this article with some pretty amateur presuppositions that make it obvious you put little time into your thinking before writing.

Disappointing. Kudos to Hyman for taking the high road with his response.

• David 5 years ago

I follow Hyman on Twitter as well and just can't believe this article. How you can turn a non-blame in to a blame amazes me. Izzy, don't fret this amateur journalist. People will see it for what it was.

• John Wilson 5 years ago

Izzy - according to your own Twitter stream, they stole consumer electronics. That they left your X-Box and Wii is hardly surprising given that they took your Mac Pro and two (I presume high-end) displays, and a printer! Opportunistic thieves only have two hands, and have you seen how little you get for second-hand Wii's and XBoxes through even legitimate channels?

Your first tweet after the breaking was "Just got off the phone with a reporter from ABC15 who wants to do a story about our break-in, and being careful about tweeting you're away."

Who gave the reporter the idea that you should be careful about tweeting you're away? You or your follower? Upon what evidence did assume that your tweet had anything whatsoever to do with your burglary, considering that you had not long before tweeted that you were away and had not been burgled.

Your theory does not survive the most cursory examination.

• Mark Leevan 5 years ago

The issue is that the ignorant will jump on this story and spread it because of the fear factor.

Hyman propagated this fear factor by his speculation.

Cops and the tabloid media eat this kind of speculation up. It's their job security.

• Anon 5 years ago

This is laughable. At best, your article is more inflammatory and sensational than you purport Izzy's to be.

• JD 5 years ago

Anon is correct.

As is Mr Leevan:
    "... and the tabloid media eat this kind of speculation up. It's their job security."

As is evidenced by this hack journalism.

• Steve Sherron 5 years ago

Among other things your accusation of Izzy being a Spammer gives you zero street cred. I follow Izzy on Twitter and if U bothered to investigate you would have never written that lie.

A lot of us use Twitter for our business to post articles and such which is what makes Twitter good for us. I checked your Twitter stream and you are using it to link to your own articles and also happy men stories. I consider you a hypocrite. You are the Spammer you accuse Izzy of being.

Your last tweet was a link to more happy men and what appeared to be a men who like men website.

I just checked your Twitter account. 14 followers and U are writing about Twitter? Give us all a break dude.

Another Tweet U sent, once again linked back to your own article. Spammer!

U call yourself an avid tweeter in your bio. 234 Tweets? Yea right.

Why don't U let us all know when U go on vacation and we'll happily retweet your vacation plans.

You had an opportunity on this article and blew it.

• Mark Leevan Hater 5 years ago

The Examiner should remove you as a writer. You link to gay men's sites in your twitter stream. You link to your own articles which is what you accuse Izzy of being a Spammer for. You have less than 20 followers and you claim to be an avid Twitter user in your bio. You don't even have your own site. You are a joke and probably just a little fat-ass excuse for a man. You also lie in your article. You owe this man a public apology.