1. Leisure
  2. Food & Drink
  3. Food & Recipes

Blackberry pie recipe

Special and sweet!

More Photos

Blackberries are in season all over the nation. And whether you are picking them from your backyard, buying them from your Farmer's Market, or picking them yourself at an orchard, this is an excellent recipe for you. The maple syrup cuts the tang of the sweet blackberries perfectly.

• Blackberry pie
  • 2 pie crusts, I like Pillsbury Pie Crusts
  • 3 cups blackberries
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 egg for wash

Place one pie crust in a greased pie plate. Set the other pie crust aside. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.

Pour into pie shell. (see slide show below) I like creative vents for the tops of my pies, so I took cookie cutters and cut out little stars. Place the second crust on top of the filling, try to center it. Pinch the pie crusts together to seal. Now fold the edges over to create a thick crust. Pinch two fingers together to flute the edge.

Whip the egg, and brush on with a pastry brush. This will give it a nice gloss while cooking.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing. At least 2 hours. Serve with vanilla ice cream!

Find your local food/cooking Examiner and ask them about a good place to find and pick your own berries! Your local Examiners are a great resource for information about your town. Don't hesitate to contact them and ask, or even suggest subjects you would like to know more about! My local Lexington Cooking Examiner just did a wonderful article about berry-picking in my home town.

What's cooking in your neck of the woods? Recipes you would like to share? Foods that are new and interesting? Email me.

If you like fresh fruit desserts, you will probably love these recipes as well:
Blueberry pie recipe
Blueberry buckle recipe
Fresh peach pie recipe
Peach cobbler recipe
Red white and blueberry brownies recipe
Peach cobbler recipe

Comments

• Bobbi 4 years ago

Yummy! I have blackberries coming on in my backyard - I think pie may be dessert tonight!

• Megan aks bertscannery 4 years ago

Looks so pretty...very all american. The crust looks really nice...hard to find a good pie crust but this one looks like a winner. YUM!

www.bertscannery.com/blog

• Liz Brooks, Easy Meals Examiner 4 years ago

Bobbi: I'm jealous! I want to do berries in the garden next year.

Megan: Thanks! I do love Pillsbury Pie Crusts. They cool really well, taste great, and are very convenient! Also, when they go on sale at the grocery, I buy a few boxes and freeze them.

• Kendra 4 years ago

Maple syrup . . .hmmmm . .interesting.

• Abby Bernd 4 years ago

Yum! That looks so good!

• scotti 4 years ago

Wow that is alot of sugar and maple syrup for such a small amount of berries. (3cups) I pick my berries much more ripe so I don't have to add so much sugar. The ones above in the picture look very unripe, they still have alot of red on them. The best are when they just drop into your hand.

• Liz Brooks, Easy Meals Examiner 4 years ago

Abby & Kendra: Thanks!

scotti: A cup of sugar is about standard for my pie recipes. It melds with the fresh fruit to create the filling. But each to his own, always feel free to tweak my recipes. I view recipes more as "guidelines". :)

Join the conversation! Log in here or create a new account if you've never registered before.

Got something to say?

Examiner.com is looking for writers, photographers, and videographers to join the fastest growing group of local insiders. If you are interested in growing your online rep apply to be an Examiner today!

Leisure

• Spring travel
    What destinations have the best spring travel deals?
    Video
    Travel Buzz
  • Bridal Fashion Week
    Highlights from the 2014 New York Bridal Fashion Week
    Camera
    Wedding Ready
  • Seared Scallops
    The only seared scallop recipe you’ll need this summer
    Yummy Eats
  • Volvo child seats
    It's happening: Volvo has designed an inflatable child safety seat
    Auto News
  • Black rice tortillas
    Liven up your burritos with these black rice tortillas
    Recipes 101
  • Remove toxins
    Use this cooking product to remove toxins and bacteria from your body
    Video
    Watch

User login

Sign in with your email and password. Or reset your password.
Write for us
Interested in becoming an Examiner and sharing your experience and passion? We're always looking for quality writers. Find out more about Examiner.com and apply today!