Black Rock Shooter is a 2011 tie in to the Black Rock Shooter Franchise, an action oriented RPG style shooter exclusive to the PSP handheld game system. It was eventually released in the US and European markets in April of 2013. In the game, the player takes on the role of Black Rock Shooter, in this telling a genetically modified fighter, trying to stop an alien invasion during and after the extinction of human life on earth.
- Comprehensive. There are a lot of different styles of play in this game, and the segments are mixed, so that for most players, the game will not seem terribly repetitive.
- Action. As expected of a game with the word 'Shooter' in the title, the player does get into the thick of things right off the bat. The gunfighting is fast and furious from start to end.
- Cutscenes. The animated intro is awesome. The internal cutscenes are made on the game's graphics engine, and while not up to the same standard as the music video style intro, are still pretty good. There's about an hour of footage in the viewer, to boot.
- Language. It's in Japanese. You can get it subtitled, which obviously helps, but the PSP screen is small, and reading the subtitles can be tough.
- Those motorcycle segments. I had a very difficult time with the motorcycle segments. Maybe I'm just special.