Halloween is just around the corner and now is the time to start planning a great dessert to serve in honor of this spooky, scary and fun holiday. Children seem to be under a spell just waiting to go out all dressed in their costumes in awe of all the creepy sights they will see, hear and treats they’ll collect in their neighborhoods.
While you are shopping for Halloween candy to dish out to all the witches, ghouls, goblins, princesses and action figure little ones from your front door pick up a few extra items to create this fun, sweet and themed cake. You are sure to have a hit on your hands from everyone who attends your Halloween party.
- 2 ½ cups of cake flour
- 1 ¼ cups of sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups of milk
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
Before you start take out the butter. Cut it into thin slices or chunks and set aside. The butter needs to be at room temperature before it can be added to the recipe.
Cake Baking Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350’.
- Grease and flour or use Baker’s Joy to prepare your cake pan or pans.
- Use the paddle attachment on your electric mixer.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Mix on low for about 1 minute to get the dry ingredients mixed together.
- Add the butter pieces and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients.
- While mixing increase the speed up to medium.
- Mix well until completely incorporated. The mixture now should resemble crumbs.
- Slowly add the oil and milk.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Mix well at medium speed until all the ingredients form a smooth cake batter.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan.
- Bake in oven until center of cake springs back and is golden brown.
- Remove cake from oven when completely cooked and set pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cake from the pan onto the cooling rack and allow cake to cool completely.
- Take the cooled cake and place it on a serving dish, platter or cake dish.
- The cake is now ready for frosting or icing or a dusting of powdered sugar.
Depending on which cake pan is used will determine what cooking time needs to be used.
- 13 x 9 inch pan bake cake for 30 - 35 minutes
- Two - 9 inch cake or pie pans bake cake for 25-30 minutes
- Two - loaf pans bake cake for 25 – 30 minutes
- Cupcake or muffin pans (yields 24) bake cake for 15-20 minutes
- 1 package of black licorice
- 1 package of M & M’s (black, orange and yellow candies)
- 1 container of vanilla frosting
- Black food coloring
- Orange ribbon
- Empty the frosting into a medium sized missing bowl.
- Add the black food coloring a few drops at a time to darken the frosting to the darkness you desire.
- Cut the black licorice evenly to the height of the cake.
- Frost the entire cake.
- Gently press the black licorice sticks into the frosting all around the outside of the cake.
- Add the M & M’s that are orange, yellow and black all over the top of the cake.
- Tie an orange ribbon around the licorice sticks to hold them in place.
Enjoy your black licorice Halloween candy cake!
© 2013 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author: