Have you heard the "mews?" Aug. 17 is Black Cat Appreciation Day, an annual "howliday" that not only celebrates black felines in all their magnificent glory, but also raises awareness about the plight of black pets.
"Tail" of the Black Cat
Due to our current economy and unemployment rate, many animal shelters across the country are inundated with unwanted, unloved, neglected and abused animals. Sadly, black cats and dogs have the lowest adoption rate and highest euthanasia rate simply because of the color of their fur. Black cats are often falsely associated with bad luck and superstition.
Wayne Morris created the annual event in an effort to raise awareness about the plight of black cats and to encourage people to adopt these often maligned and misunderstood animals. In an online interview, Morris said he selected Aug. 17 to "honor my sisters passing and love of black cats." Morris said that even today, ignorance and superstitions still haunt black cats because of the color of their fur. But with our help, support and awareness, we can make a difference for the millions of pets who are searching for their "furever" homes.
Black Cat Appreciation Day 2013 Events
In honor of Black Cat Appreciation Day, some shelters across the country will be offering reduced adoption rates on black cats and kittens.
- The Geauga Humane Society's Rescue Village will be celebrating the event by waiving all adoption fees for "predominantly" black cats and kittens during its Rescue Village BLACKOUT on Aug. 17-18 and Aug. 24 - 24, 2013.
- The Arizona Humane Society will reduce adoption fees on all black and tuxedo cats and kittens to $25 this weekend.
- Freshfully will be holding a silent auction to help raise money for an upcoming eye surgery on the store's resident feline, Tiny Cat. Any additional money raised from the auction will benefit the Greater Birmingham Humane Society. Tiny Cat will attend the silent auction so be sure to stop by!
- The North Texas Cat Rescue will be celebrating Black Cat Appreciation Day on Aug. 17, 2013, from 11 - 5:00 p.m. at the PetSmart in Allen. Please stop by and adopt a kitty today.
- The New Rochelle Humane Society in New York will be offering a 50 percent discount on adoption fees for black and black and white cats. The event runs from Aug. 17 - Aug. 24, 2013.
- Be sure to check out Captain Feline's Black Cat Appreciation Day limited edition print giveaway in honor of the event. Just enter before midnight (PST) Aug. 18, 2013, for a chance to win this stunning print.
- Share your special black cat stories and photographs online.
If you are considering opening your heart and your home to an animal in need, please consider adopting a black cat or dog - before it's too late. Please visit Petfinder or the Humane Society for more information.