I recently succumbed to the Biscoff craze. I've been hearing about Biscoff cookie butter for months, and I finally got around to buying a jar a few weeks ago when I saw it was on sale at the grocery store. Once I got home, I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with it. I could only eat so many spoonfuls of cookie butter.
A quick search on Pinterest and I found this recipe for Biscoff Coffee Cake Muffins. I love a good coffee cake, and adding Biscoff sounded like an excellent idea. These muffins did not disappoint. I think they might be my favorite muffins of all time, and this is definitely my favorite coffee cake recipe. You can never go wrong with a muffin that has a crumble topping, especially when it is made with cookie butter.
Biscoff Coffee Cake Muffins (recipe adapted from Life Made Simple)
1¾ c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
4 tbsp. butter, room temperature
1/4 cup apple sauce
2 large eggs
1 c. sour cream
1½ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
3 tbsp. smooth Biscoff Spread
½ c. all-purpose flour
¼ c. brown sugar
3 tbsp. butter, cold
1 tbsp. smooth Biscoff Spread
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard size muffin tins (you might have a few empty liners at the end, just take them out if that’s the case). Set aside.
2. To prepare topping, combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in Biscoff Spread and butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter, apple sauce, sugar and sour cream until smooth and fluffy. Add vanilla, cinnamon and one egg. Mix until incorporated. Add the last egg, mix just until incorporated.
4. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add dry ingredients. When mixture is combined, remove 1 c. of batter. Place into a small bowl and add in Biscoff spread.
5. Divide batter between cupcake liners. Fill each ½ way full with normal batter. Scoop a dollop of Biscoff batter on top and swirl (this should make it so the liners are ⅔ – ¾ of the way full). Generously sprinkle each with crumble topping. Place in oven and bake for 22-25 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
6. Remove from oven and let muffins cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove muffins and place on a wire rack to cool completely.