March 21, 2010
Alabama isn't known for it's healthiness, but these health food stores put Birmingham on the big city map. Look to the owners and employees of these beacons of holistic living when seeking advice to improve the health of your body and home.
- Organic Harvest: An absolutely beautiful store with a knowledgeable staff, Organic Harvest in Hoover is worth the trek. Their produce is the best of any locally owned health food store. Their selection of household cleaning products is top notch, and they have Birmingham's only completely organic cafe. They offer workshops frequently on important health topics.
- Golden Temple: Offering locations in Five Points and Hoover, Golden Temple was among the first health food stores in the Birmingham area. They have a great selection of spices, vitamins, and herbs, as well as fresh produce and dried goods. They have a great vegetarian restaurant attached to the store.
- Honey and Spice: and everything nice... The owner is extremely knowledgeable of everything to do with supplements and nutrition. They offer little in the way of fresh foods, but focus mainly on supplements. You can do therapies such as Quantum Biofeedback and Ionic Foot Cleanse at the store. Honey and Spice is worth the drive to downtown Trussville (call for directions first).
- V. Richards: More of a gourmet grocery store, V. Richards is great about carrying local produce when available. They have a great meat and fish selection, and serve a tasty meal at their cafe. Not the place to go looking for supplements, but they have great produce.
- Whole Foods: Of course, Whole Foods has everything you can and cannot think of related to eating and living holistically. Choose this health food mecca when the locally owned stores don't fully meet your needs.