A cigarette discarded without being extinguished started a rooftop fire in London, England, March 6. As reported yesterday by Newser, investigators believe a bird picked up the lit cigarette and later dropped it on the roof, which had not been accessed by humans for several years.
Matt Cullen, investigator for the London Fire Brigade, found a partially burnt bird nest to solve the case. See Cullen’s full report here.
Under the Michigan Smoke Free Air Law it is unlawful to smoke inside any public building so employees often exit the building to smoke. With cold winters such as this current season, smokers tend to stay near the building and are often known to flick their cigarettes into the snow. This does not necessarily extinguish them.
Contrary to what is claimed on many websites, the law does not provide for a smoke-free distance from the door. It is recommended by the Human Resources Association of Greater Detroit that employers desiring to establish a smoke-free perimeter in their employee handbook.
Cullen says the incident is a great example of why it is important to put your cigarettes out fully.
“You never know what might become of your smoldering butts! Luckily for the residents,” writes Cullen, “their neighbors saw the smoke and raised the alarm, so fire crews could get in quickly and bring it under control.”
Resources for you:
Employment Diversity in Michigan, a human resources networking group on LinkedIn.
Max Impact offers free employee training materials
Cultural roadmap, look at the contents of the character within each of us.
Keep your workforce motivated with these motivational quotes.
“Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons for employee and leadership development.
Employee training and development materials from Amazon.