2K Games announced Friday the re-release of the original "BioShock" and "BioShock 2" as part of the "BioShock: Ultimate Rapture Edition" due out in the middle of January for the PS3 and Xbox 360. The new edition packs all of the previously released DLC plus a look at never-before seen early concept art.
The "BioShock: Ultimate Rapture Edition" will serve as a promotional lead-in to "BioShock Infinite" which is coming in late March. The re-release will be available on Jan. 14 for $29.99 and comes with all of the add-on content from both games plus the "Museum of Orphaned Concepts" which provides a look at early concept art and character model that never made it into "BioShock".
- Museum of Orphaned Concepts: Take a tour of a never-before-seen BioShock museum and view early concept art, character models and more set within the halls of Rapture.
- Plasmids Pack: Includes four additional Plasmids and Gene Tonics – Sonic Boom, EVE Saver, Vending Expert and Machine Buster – for use in BioShock.
- Challenge Rooms Pack: Previously exclusive to PS3 and now available for Xbox 360 for the first time, the pack tests the player’s mettle by requiring them to utilize the skills learned while traversing the halls of Rapture to survive three separate puzzle rooms in BioShock.
- Sinclair Solutions Tester: Contains a number of customization features that allow players to further their character’s development in BioShock 2 multiplayer modes and provides a deeper multiplayer experience.
- Rapture Metro: Includes six additional multiplayer maps, an additional multiplayer gameplay mode and a rank increase to level 50 for BioShock 2 multiplayer.
- The Protector Trials: Features frantic combat and fast-paced action designed to push players’ mastery of weapons and Plasmids in a BioShock 2 single-player experience spread across six maps.
- Minerva’s Den: A substantial narrative experience that puts players in the role Subject Sigma and introduces new characters, locations and mystery to the world of Rapture in BioShock 2. Set in a new environment, Rapture Central Computing, Minerva’s Den adds a gripping new storyline to extend the BioShock 2 experience.
- Also included, is an exclusive collectable sticker pack from BioShock Infinite’s world of Columbia to get gamers ready for the next chapter in the BioShock universe.
"BioShock Infinite" is currently scheduled to be released on March 26. While "Infinite" is not directly tied into the original two games, the "BioShock: Ultimate Rapture Edition" should serve as a nice lead-in to the franchise for newcomers while offering fans of the series a glimpse into the creation of the world of Rapture.