Biology trumps belief: An exclusive interview with PZ Myers

Carrie Poppy and PZ Myers at the Atheist Alliance International Conference, 2009
Photo: Claire Knowlton

Comments

• SG 5 years ago

Wooo! Great interview. PZ warms my heart - especially with his call to atheists to speak out loud and proud.

• Amber 5 years ago

Fantastic! Just fantastic!

• SG 5 years ago

• strangelove66 5 years ago

rationalresponders.com/forum/19284

PZ myers is nothing but an eloquent liar....

• strangelove66 5 years ago

or even better...

forums.canadiancontent.net/canadian-culture/89170-atheism-dead-forever-canadian-did.html#post1199829

describing the problem with pz and co.

• strangelove66 5 years ago

or even better...

describing the problem with pz and co.

• DavidC 5 years ago

Great interview. Good questions from Carrie and the usual stimulating responses from PZ. Excellent. :)

• Hugh Kramer, LA Atheism Examiner 5 years ago

Excellent interview with PZ Myers, Carrie. I was supposed to interview him at the AAI convention in October but He was always surrounded by people. He was willing to be interviewed but I was never able to schedule any private time with him. I wish I'd thought of doing it the way you did.

That being said, I want to compliment you on a job well done. When I was researching what to ask him, I checked over lots of his earlier interviews and sweated blood trying to figure out ways to be different from those others and still ask relevant questions. You did it and you made it look easy. Whether or not it actually WAS easy for you is beside the point. Either way it was skilled journalism.

• Réne Girard (San Diego Christianity & Culture 5 years ago

"But telling them that religion will make them stupid and susceptible to abuse might be a step in the right direction."

I doubt my fellow Christians would consider that a step in the right direction.

I would also like to share the fact that I taught in the public school system and one thing I noticed was that the most well-behaved and intelligent students came from Christian homes with loving parents.

I came from a broken home, but I devoted myself to God, prayed often, read the Bible daily, and living by His principles not only kept me out of trouble, but I graduated Valedictorian.

Story after story can be told all over the world of how God, the one true God of the Bible, has changed people's lives for the better - opening their eyes and providing more benefits than anyone or anything else they ever experienced. My wife went to "a very liberal leftist school" and did not become a Christian until she was an adult. She has increased in wisdom and mental stability.

• Liz B-Howard Stern Examiner 5 years ago

Great interview Carrie!

• ianam 5 years ago

<i>I doubt my fellow Christians would consider that a step in the right direction.</i>

And yet your very comment here confirms his statement, being full of stupid.

• Suburban 5 years ago

The link contained in the sentence 'Professor Myers will be speaking at the Orange County Freethought Alliance this May.' is broken. Has been since this morning. Please fix.

• Carrie Poppy 5 years ago

Rene: Those are extraordinary claims. We can't wait for your extraordinary evidence!

• china 5 years ago

woo sexy heaven!

• Carrie Poppy 5 years ago

Suburban: Sorry, the Examiner publisher doesn't like that link for some reason. You can find the info here: [www] [dot] freethoughtalliance [dot] [org].

• Mr. Girard 5 years ago

Hi Carrie. They gave me a little trophy and a medallion to wear around my neck. I guess those would be my evidence. :-) Most of the evidence of a changed life is the changed life.

• Carrie Poppy 5 years ago

Rene, I'm afraid we can't just take your word that Christian children are better behaved and adjusted than other children, or that people grow in wisdom once they accept Christianity. Anecdotes are the beginning of inquiry, not the end of it. I would contend that someone who accepts, based on no evidence, that a god-man died for them and saved them from a firy hell (that He chose to impose), is ipso facto, neither well-adjusted nor wise.