Being a black actor in the 1960s did not carry the same glitz and glamour as being a white actor. Bill Cosby experienced this first hand as a star of the TV show "I Spy". One could argue the relevance of having second billing to series starring Robert Culp as he was definitely the better known actor. However this does not excuse the difference in dressing room for Cosby.
Cosby kept a positive attitude and stayed true to himself.
“I do not know the key to success,” he said, “But the key to failure is trying to please everybody.”
As a result he would later land his own series where he not only got the top billing, the show was named after him.
When leaders begin to pander to others to become guilty of what is known as the “kiss down” effect. When a supervisor practices kissing down the entire team suffers in the workplace culture becomes one of self-preservation and negativity.
However workplace where the leader has core values that are consistently followed the entire team will build a healthy workplace culture where success thrives.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Resources for creating a winning workplace culture:
- Cultural roadmap, a look at the contents of the character within each of us.
- Max Impact offers free leadership training and development materials including Cultural Faux Pas and Culture Quizzes
- Keep your workforce motivated with these motivational quotes.
- Books about workplace cultures.
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons ideal for building leadership during staff meetings.