1. News
  2. Politics
  3. Independent

Bill Ayers admits writing 'Dreams' to conservative blogger

HT: Tallulah, who alerted me to this story

Last Friday we posted an article on these pages asserting Bill Ayers' authorship of President Barack Obama's 'Dreams From My Father,' based on claims made by Obama biographer Christopher Andersen. It is possible that we have now gotten direct confirmation of this from Bill Ayers himself.

Anne Leary of Back Yard Conservative was passing through Washington, DC’s Reagan National Airport yesterday, and was surprised to come across Bill Ayers at Starbucks: “scruffy, thinning beard, dippy earring, and the wire rims, heading to order.” She struck up a conversation with him and snapped the accompanying photo. (Photo provided courtesy Anne Leary.)

I interviewed Anne this morning about it.

Ayers was in Washington, he told her, for a conference on education.

“That's what I do, education,” he said. “You shouldn't believe everything you hear about me... You know nothing about me.”

To which she responded, “I said, I know plenty--I'm from Chicago, a conservative blogger, and I'll post this.”

I bet his heart skipped a beat on that one.

But he didn’t scowl, and didn’t run off as he has been known to do. Instead, unprompted, he blurted out: “I wrote ‘Dreams From My Father… Michelle asked me to.” Then he added “And if you can prove it we can split the royalties.”

Anne responded, “Stop pulling my leg!”

But he repeated insistently, “I wrote it, the wording was similar [to Ayers’ other writing.]”

Anne responded, “I believe you probably heavily edited it.”

Ayers stated firmly, “I wrote it.”

Anne ended the conversation by saying “why would I believe you? You're a liar.”

Good for her. But we are left to wonder. Despite her parting shot, Anne was convinced Ayers was in earnest. He was making a public statement. He wanted this news out there.

Was he, as she had asked, pulling our collective legs? Other sources report rumors that Ayers is very upset both about not getting any credit for helping Obama on ‘Dreams,’ and may also be put off by being summarily thrown under the bus along with Rev. Wright and everyone else who becomes an inconvenience to this President.

My understanding of communists is that most would know better and keep their mouths shut. But Ayers is a bit different. He is, as he says, a “small ‘c’ communist,” but he is also, in a certain, slimy way, an entrepreneur, as we explained in Monday's post. (Apologies in advance to entrepreneurs everywhere.) He grew up a very rich kid, used to getting everything he wanted. Even as an adult his career has relied on a hand up from his wealthy father. His past statements and radical activities also mark him as a megalomaniac. In youth he drew attention to himself by blowing things up. As an adult "educator" he merely attempts to subvert children. But that doesn't seem to be going so well.

He is under a lot of pressure, too. Ayers and his horrid wife Bernardine Dohrn are believed to have planned and executed the San Francisco Park Police Station bombing in 1970 that killed police sergeant Brian V. McDonnell and wounded several others. Efforts to bring them to justice have been underway for some time, as brought to light this past March in a National Press Club conference put on by Cliff Kincaid of America’s Survival.

Cliff’s guests included Larry Grathwohl, the FBI’s undercover agent who penetrated Ayers’ Weather Underground and produced this stunning testimony about Ayers’ plan to massacre 25 million Americans, retired S.F. policeman James Pera, first on the scene at the bombing, and veteran researcher Trevor Loudon

Now, a recent exposé by San Francisco reporter Peter Jamison has revealed additional evidence, including testimony from other Weather Underground members, that Dohrn planted the bomb that killed Sgt. McDonnell.

Maybe in his overstressed state Bill’s megalomania has just gotten the better of him.

UPDATE: Larry Grathwohl adds "I believe it. Bill doesn't take the back seat to anyone for very long."

Comments

• L Grathwohl 4 years ago

Wow!! I believe it! Bill isn't someone who appreciates being ignored or being in the background for very long. Good job to Anne and to you Jim for getting this story out.

• Grandpa Smith 4 years ago

Wow, what a development. Great job Anne! And the plot gets better...
    We haven't heard the end to this I'll wager!

Thanks Jim.

• OhioDude 4 years ago

Does this mean that Mau-Mau Man is not a New Bard ?

That he is a thin veneer over an empty shell ?

That he is shiny on the outside .... just like a fresh turd ?

Of course Billy wrote for 'Bongo; this will not ruffle the feathers of the Lamestream Media. Just expect that he and fellow explosives-dabbler/paramour Bernie won't be gettin' no Christmas Card ... nahmean ?

• Sam Davis 4 years ago

This is a huge development!!!! Thanks for putting this out Jim. And thanks to Anne Leary for getting the scoop.

• John Ryan 4 years ago

25 million Americans !! wow he certainly had ambitious plans lol I myself have plans to take control of the entire planet. Soon.

• Dr Irish 4 years ago

There's the new things called cell phones. Most have video and audio recording capabilities. Too bad you missed the opportunity Anne. Without audio, video and 30 witnesses, one of which must be Wolf Blitzer, this will never be heard outside of a few websites and Sean Hannity.

Its way too Right Wing Kooky!

• John Ryan 4 years ago

Ayers doesn't take the back seat for very long ? umm That book was written almost 15 years ago. IMHO that is rather a long time to wait for royalties, IF they were deserved

• Mona Maruna 4 years ago

Next thing we know you right-wingers are going to say is the book was actually about Ayers father, not Obamas.
    You wouldn't believe Ayers if he was saying anything else! After all, he's a liar, but was probably just joshing with you to see what garbage you would write about it.

• Robin 4 years ago

I wonder if he is not happy with the investment he made in The One's political career.

• SallyVee 4 years ago

Sounds exactly like a Billy The Bomber, in-your-face moment. He is quite an honest man in a perverse sort of way. Remember "guilty as hell and free as a bird" admission. Remember him openly discussing his bisexuality. He is indeed unrepentent... about everything. And never forget, he really really enjoys blowing things apart and creating chaos/anarchy/fear.

• SallyVee 4 years ago

Obama's naïveté and poor judgement is also on display. To think that he could somehow "manage" the much older and more experienced sociopath. Ha.

Oddly too, I think words actually mean a lot to Ayers. Whereas to Obama they are primarily tools used to manipulate self advancement. Even tho Ayers is a twisted radical, I think he believes his own drivel and takes it all very seriously. It may bother him that Obama is being exposed as a rudderless vessel and a man devoid of principle.

• copp 4 years ago

Stylistic analysis proves he wrote it. Any close reader can see it. As for Ayers admitting it here and there being no 'tape'...why worry? He'll repeat it. Even if he's now going to get paid off by Obama's friends to clam up (probably his plan here), the truth will out. It's in the text for those with eyes to see. Historians will figure it all out - to Obama's eternal shame. It'll seal his reputation as a fool. No question about it. Kid stuff.

• Jim Simpson 4 years ago

I believe as Robin said, he is questioning his investment in Obama. And as SallyVee observes, he is one of the true believers. True believers don't like to be sloughed aside to make way for opportunists. Obama is, like Ayers, a communist, but not like Ayers, one who believes it. He just takes advantage of its power enhancing techniques.
    And John Ryan, you need to study up a bit. It is communist doctrine to wipe out a sizeable proportion of the population once having secured power. It has happened in every single country conquered by communinsts. Bill Ayers and the Weathermen were being guided and trained by Cuba's DGI. Whether or not their aspirations had any chance, Ayers thought they did and that conversation was serious. Ask Larry Grathwohl how serious he was. He ws there, you weren't. You might not be laughing so hard.

• jasperjava 4 years ago

Bill Ayers is having a good laugh at the expense of gullible conservatives right now.

• Glen 4 years ago

Remember it took 52 years before Sorensen confirmed how much he was involved in writing Kennedy's Profiles in Courage.

• Dormaphaea 4 years ago

No wonder home schooling is becoming more popular.

• Jim Simpson 4 years ago

Some of you may wonder why your comments have disappeared from this site. I enjoy constructive debate, and welcome anyone who challenges me with facts and/or well-considered arguments. However, the sneering, infantile, gratuitous, and utterly baseless ad-hominem attacks that leftists almost always stoop to have no place here and will be deleted. You know who you are. Get lost. Come back when you decide to grow up.

• Jeff 4 years ago

Just because you like what you hear does not make it the truth. I'm curious as to what these other "sources" are that say Ayers is upset. I'll bet some of you think the e-mail from the Nigerian government official offering you millions is for real.

• Joe L. 4 years ago

Color me unimpressed. This "story" is likely to go the way of so many other stories the conservative press jumps on, concocts, or rips out of context. You know the old expression, "if you give em enough rope..."? It's never been more apt than in the 21st century.

• Maggie M. Thornton 4 years ago

Ayers was finally able to claim Obama's supposed work for himself, challenge Anne, knowing it cannot be proven but would be reported. I believe him. The problem is he has confessed to many things, but the left adores him and ignores him (protects him).

Anne Leary did a great job getting him to talk - just a run-in in the airport and she has a fabulous story - and a photo! I disagree with the reader who thinks the story will go away. It won't even be reported by the Left - so it can't go away.

Conservatives will just keep putting it out there. Thanks much Jim and Anne.

Maggie's Notebook

• Think 4 years ago

From the National Journal (no Liberal rag):

From National Journal (link w/ subscription):

Inside Washington

Saturday, Oct. 3, 2009

Payment Due

Who actually wrote Dreams From My Father? The book cover says Barack Obama, but one corner of the right-wing blogosphere thinks Obama had a ghostwriter—and that it was Bill Ayers, onetime Weatherman, current academic, perpetual radical. National Journal caught up with Ayers at a recent book festival where he was exhorting a small crowd of listeners to remember that they are citizens, not subjects. “Open your eyes,” he said. “Pay attention. Be astonished. Act, and doubt.” When he finished speaking, we put the authorship question right to him. For a split second, Ayers was nonplussed. Then an Abbie Hoffmanish, steal-this-book-sort-of-smile lit up his face. He gently took National Journal by the arm. “Here’s what I’m going to say. This is my quote. Be sure to write it down: ‘Yes, I wrote Dreams From My Father. I ghostwrote the whole

The really great thing about this post is that no one, BUT NO ONE, can say that somebody wrote former Governor Sarah Palin's book for her.

Sarah sat down with her pen and a giant stack of yellow legal pads and cranked out one hell of a bestseller -- in about four weeks.

Even if she did have a ghostwriter, it was the Holy Ghost(s) that helped -- and whoever has a problem with that can take it up with Jesus Himself.

• Uffi 4 years ago

Textual analysis shows that Ayers also was the real author of every one of William F. Buckley's books from "The Unmaking of a Mayor" on. The novels, too.

He also wrote the screenplays for the Godfather movies (I and II only). Bernadine Dohrn wrote The DaVinci Code. They're a talented couple!

• Nietzschean 4 years ago

Bill Ayers seems to be making real progress with public school kids in Chicago. P.S. His wife praised Charles Manson in lavishy goulish terms. Lovely couple.

• Robert Speirs 4 years ago

Doesn't matter whether he wrote the book or not. The question is, why did he say he did and why now? As the left wing says, it's all about the metacontext. There's no such thing as truth, anyway. There is only cause and effect. My feeling is that Bill is not getting sufficient attention from the Obamacrats and that they are not doing what he thought they would. So he's blowing things up again.

• Frightened in Florida 4 years ago

If you read "Dreams" carefully it says "he" went to radical meetings when he was at Columbia (this was in the same period Ayers & Bernadine lived in NY). I believe they met and Ayers provided the entre to "Money" and "Power" in Chicago. Ayers has the ability to blackmail Obama, because Obama has lied to the American People as to the Obama-Ayers relationship. Obama owes almost everything to Ayers. Ayers has put a shot across Obama's bow.

• Rich TX 4 years ago

Obama is a fraud.

• Texmom 4 years ago

Tough call. I would tend not to believe it, because I think he would love to have us run with it, and make fools of ourselves. At the same time, having read about the Weather Underground, it seemed like the notoriety was what the enjoyed the most about being in the group. They were disturbed when the Symbionese Liberation Army stole their headlines. Their egos just might be big enough to make this claim, whether it's true or not.

• Gary A. Hill 4 years ago

I just heard Cashill speak on this subject, and he makes a pretty good case that Ayers was the ghostwriter. Where he gets out on a weak limb, however, is with his assertion that this is something Ayers can use to get leverage (blackmail) over Obama on policy matters. This is just right-wing paranoia, or wishful thinking - hoping to make something big out of what is really nothing of importance.