What child doesn’t like bikes? The fast and furious freedom of pedaling and propelling down the street! Lance Armstrong and friends are riding The Tour de France this July, so why not host your own Tour de (Your City/Last Name)?
***Safety Note: Helmets and proper safety gear should be worn at all times when riding bikes at the party!
Be sure to remind guests to BYOB: bring your own bike (& helmet!)
- Attach the invitation to a bike bell.
- Place the invitation inside a reusable water bottle with confetti and sparkle grass inside.
- Give guests pin on racing numbers just like the riders in the Tour de France wear on their backs.
- Find the perfect bike friendly park at FunOrangeCountyParks.com
- Consider a Pier- to-Pier ride along the Balboa Boardwalk. End with a trip to the Fun Zone, meal at Ruby’s on the Balboa Pier and a world-famous Balboa Bar.
- Reserve a private dirt track for your friends to bike and race at Orange Y BMX.
SURREY BIKE SCAVENGER HUNT
Thanks to readers Avery & Julie from Santa Barbara, CA for submitting this fun idea from Avery’s 12th Birthday Party!
- Rent Surrey bikes (bikes that accommodate up to 6 passengers)
- Give each bike team a list of items or stores/locations to visit. Set a time and meeting place to return. Each team should be supervised by an adult.
- Race to find and collect or photograph (digital cameras or cell phone cameras work great for this!) all items on the scavenger hunt list.
- Team who arrives back first with all items, or at the designated return time with the most items wins!
- Note: This can also be done in groups on their own individual bikes, as well.
BIKE OBSTACLE COURSE
- Pick a location away from traffic with plenty of space, such as: a cul-de-sac street, park or school playground.
- Set up an bike obstacle course by setting up cones.
- Set a track path by drawing a chalk line for bikers to follow.
- Depending on the age of the riders and skill level, path can be complicated and curvy with many obstacles to traverse or a more simplified design.
- Races can be for best individual times or as a group relay race competition (set-up 2 matching courses).
BIKE TREASURE HUNT
- Give clues to find and follow to a series of locations as a team or individuals.
- End at a final location to celebrate with birthday cake!
RED LIGHT GREEN LIGHT
- Played like the traditional game, but on bicycles instead of running!
- Ask guests to come with their bikes already decorated.
- Or, provide streamers, flags, garlands, balloons and other decorations.
- Play music from a portable speaker.
- Have an adult lead the way down the block, through the neighborhood or through a park.
- Plan a bike ride with stops at different houses, picnic areas or restaurants for each part of the meal (appetizer, lunch/dinner & dessert).
- Bike Wheel Hamburgers—Draw spokes on open-face burgers with ketchup. (Try Trader Joes mini burgers & buns…to serve two “wheels” to every guest!)
- Fruit Kabobs on toothpicks arranged to be the handlebars and seat above the burger “wheels.”
- Bicycle-shaped Pasta Salad (Use bike-a-roni noodles from The Pasta Shoppe)
- Gatorade (or other sports drink) can be served in a reusable bottle (which can be the guests’ favors to take home after the party).
- Decorate cupcakes or Ding-Dongs to resemble gears or wheels with icing or toothpick spokes!
- Bike Decorating: Provide streamers, flags, garlands, balloons and other decorations. Or, make it fast and furious with limited time and supplies and see what everyone can create!
- Bike Pennants: Decorate pennant flags to attach to back of bicycles. Available online at Oriental Trading Company.
- Bike Noisemakers: Decorate and place playing cards inbetween spokes to create easy noisemakers.
- Bike bells (Available at Nirve.com)
- Bobbles (Stylish, self-filtering water bottles!)
- Custom Printed Water Bottles (available at Zazzle)
- Livestrong Bracelets (Trendy & Support a great cause!)
- Spokerz (wheel spoke decorations)
- Fun Reflectors (reflective stickers in fun shapes & colors)
- Spokester (Bike Noisemakers)
Want to Pep Up your parties? Just click on the “SUBSCRIBE” button above to receive email alerts when Alii’s latest articles are available.
Remember a great party can be measured in smiles!