Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Big night for Queensland in Tuesday FFA Cup action

FFA Cup 2014 Round 1: Matchday Three-slide0
Photo by Paul Kane/Getty Images

It was a good night for Queensland in the FFA Cup as Palm Beach Sharks and Brisbane Roar both managed wins in opposite ends of the country to advance to the Round of 16 on Tuesday night.

Matt Smith celebrates his goal
Photo by Paul Kane/Getty Images

Palm Beach managed a 2-1 win over Hakoah Sydney City East at Hensley Athletic Field in Sydney's East in an entertaining game in freezing conditions.

Two minutes in to the match Palm Beach hit the lead as Daniel Dragevic was able to find the space in the box to make the shot and beat Daniel Conway to open the scoring.

Palm Beach continued to attack and in the 17th they made it 2-0 as Chris Lucas hit a corner that found Kristian Rees who was able to run in and head home the goal powerfully.

Just after half an hour they could well have made it three as Nik Mirkovic was able to get a shot away but Conway made a great low save which kept it 2-0 at the break.

In the 68th minute Lloyd Owusu pulled one back for Hakoah as the Sydney side countered and allowed Neil Jablonski to cross in for Owusu who headed home the goal at the far post.

Lucas had the chance to put Palm Beach 3-1 up in the 86th minute as he got through one-on-one but the keeper came off the line and pressured him to shoot over the bar.

In the 90th Hakoah very nearly forced extra time as Owusu had a half chance, followed by Gavin Macpherson but they just could not get the goal they needed as Palm Beach advanced.

Brisbane Roar joined their state colleagues in the Round of 16 as they destroyed second division side Stirling Lions 4-0 at WA Athletics Stadium.

The match actually started much tighter than the score line suggested as the Western Australia NPL side held Brisbane Roar in check through the opening half-hour.

But Brisbane Roar’s domination eventually paid off in the 31st minute as Henrique returned a clearance off the line with a phenomenal bicycle to open the scoring, in what would be the only goal of the first half.

Ten minutes in to the second half Brisbane had their second as Corey Brown found a goal which seemed to sink the efforts of Stirling.

In the 63rd minute Brisbane made it three and sealed the match as Thomas Broich was able to cross in for Matt Smith who was able to easily head it home.

The four-nil result was finally wrapped up in the 68th minute as a Dimitri Petratos free-kick ended when Jean Carlos Solorzano tapped it in from close range sealing the win.

Report this ad