With so many activities to choose from right here in Burbank it’s tempting to never leave the city, but these quick weekend getaways might just lure you beyond the border.
October 5-7: Cemetery tour, Oktoberfest and corn maze.
Hollywood Forever Cemetery Tour: It’s the first weekend of October, and what better way to start off the month of Halloween than with a cemetery tour? Led by the Art Deco Society of Los Angeles, Saturday’s guided walking tour explores the history and legacy of the Hollywood elite who established the foundation of the city, and chose to spend eternity on its grounds. Tours depart every 20 minutes from the fountain inside the main gate and last about two hours.
- When: Saturday, October 6, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Where: Hollywood Forever Cemetery, 6000 Santa Monica Blvd., Hollywood.
- Cost: $20. Get tickets
- Distance: Approximately 9 miles. Get directions
- For more information: Visit Art Deco Society of Los Angeles Hollywood Forever Event page.
Montrose Oktoberfest: October brings Oktoberfests, including the annual celebration in downtown Montrose. Now in its 35th year, Montrose Oktoberfest is a family-friendly event featuring games, rides, contests, an all-day variety show, and plenty of German food and music. Adults can wash down their bratwurst and strudel with a cold beverage from the beer garden, which will serve beer and wine beginning at 2 p.m.
- When: Saturday, October 6, noon to 11 p.m.
- Where: 2300-2400 blocks of Honolulu Avenue, Montrose.
- Cost: Free.
- Distance: Approximately 10 miles. Get directions
- For more information: Visit Montrose Oktoberfest.
Big Horse Corn Maze & Harvest Festival: Every October, Big Horse Feed & Mercantile in Temecula hosts a harvest festival with hayrides, corn cannons, a pumpkin launcher, and a host of other family-friendly activities. The main attraction, however, is the 11-acre corn maze, elaborately drawn out to create a patriotic image when viewed from high above. The year’s design features a military officer with the tagline “Honoring Our Heroes,” a tribute to our country’s veterans. Festival activities occur only on weekends but the maze is open every day from October 6-31. Reserve at least an hour to find your way through the cornstalks, but “Corn Cops” are stationed throughout the attraction in case you can’t find your way out.
- When: October 6-31, Saturdays & Sundays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., weekdays (maze only) 1-5 p.m.
- Where: 33320 Temecula Parkway, Temecula.
- Cost: Maze $9 (children 3 & under are free); harvest festival activities $3-5 each. Parking is a $3 donation to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.
- Distance: Approximately 100 miles. Get directions
- For more information: Visit Big Horse Corn Maze & Harvest Festival.