When Bethenny Frankel first decided to do her talk show, she wanted to include regular diet debates. On a recent show, Bethenny discussed what works for weight loss with her guest expert Dr. Travis Stork. Best moments: The great chocolate argument. Read on for the skinny.
An E.R. physician as well as co-host of "The Doctors," Dr. Travis told Bethenny that he's written a new diet book because the number one reason people come to the E.R. is food-related. His book provides a detailed, phased plan for weight loss and also offers help with sugar addiction: "The Doctor's Diet: Dr. Travis Stork's STAT Program to Help You Lose Weight & Restore Your Health."
Bethenny points out that what works for one person might not work for another when it comes to diets. While Dr. Travis believes that getting in the habit of eating breakfast is essential for weight loss and health, Bethenny contends that some people get "set off" when they eat breakfast and then eat more for the rest of the day.
In addition, Bethenny believes that there are times, such as PMS, when only chocolate will suffice. She gave several examples:
- When PMS hits, Bethenny feels that only chocolate helps.
- If you haven't gotten enough sleep or have something happen like getting dumped by a boyfriend, chocolate is "essential."
- And there just are days, sighs Bethenny, when she wakes up and needs a chocolate muffin.
Dr. Travis, however, warns that chocolate can be harmful with PMS because of the sugar. In addition, he's concerned that her examples are based on emotional eating.
They finally agreed upon the following guidelines:
- Craving chocolate for emotional eating? Recognize why you want it. Then, with that in mind, if you still want a moderate amount of chocolate, indulge.
- A good night's sleep is essential for weight loss as well as health. When you don't get enough sleep, you tend to crave carbs and sugar to boost your energy, which can turn into a blood sugar spike problem that causes you to eat more and more.
- While breakfast is important, it doesn't have to be enormous. Have a small handful of nuts or some other type of protein to kick-start your day.
Worth noting: Both have written diet books that take very different approaches to weight loss. Yet both have great bodies, demonstrating once again that not every diet is right for every body. Find out more:
- Bethenny has proclaimed herself to be "SkinnyGirl." And she's written a book to help you achieve that slim status: "Naturally Thin: Unleash Your SkinnyGirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting" (click for details).
- Then there's Dr. Travis. Judging by how Bethenny eyed this hunk, she found him much more appealing than chocolate. He's authored his new weight loss book: "The Doctor's Diet: Dr. Travis Stork's STAT Program to Help You Lose Weight & Restore Your Health" (click for details).