1. This week in the Los Angeles area, the top hardcover nonfiction bestseller is Life by Keith Richards with James Fox. According to The New York Times, which ranks bestsellers nationwide, Life ranks fourth in hardcover nonfiction bestsellers. Life is the autobiography of the famous Rolling Stones musician Keith Richards, and is a story of fame, loves, run-ins with the law, drugs, exile, and above all, devotion to music.
2. Former President George W. Bush's memoir Decision Points ranks second in hardcover nonfiction in the Los Angeles area and No. 1 nationwide. In Decision Points, George Bush discusses major decisions made throughout his presidency in the face of historical events, including the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 and Hurricane Katrina. President Bush also covers his personal relationships, drinking, and faith.
3. I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections ranks third in the Los Angeles area and eleventh nationwide in hardcover nonfiction bestsellers. I Remember Nothing is a collection of humorous essays by novelist and screenwriter Nora Ephron, who is well-known for numerous favorite feature films, including "When Harry Met Sally..." "You've Got Mail," and more recently, "Julie and Julia."
4. Ranking fourth in the Los Angeles area and nationwide in hardcover nonfiction is Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. Unbroken is the compelling story of Air Force Lieutenant Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner who survived a plane crash. Laura Hillenbrand is the author of The New York Times bestseller Seabiscuit.
5. Ranking fifth in the Los Angeles area and third nationwide is The Autobiography of Mark Twain: The Complete and Authoritative Edition, Vol. 1, by Mark Twain, edited by Harriet Smith and the editors of the Mark Twain Project. Mark Twain requested that his autobiography be published posthumously, 100 years following his death, to give him the freedom to air his unconventional views without fear of falling into disfavor.
All of the books discussed in this article can be purchased at Los Angeles area Barnes and Noble bookstores and can be ordered through Amazon.com. They are also available at the Los Angeles Public Library.