The best places to live in America is an annual list that is anticipated by many persons who want to go where the “grass is greener” – or simply want to know where the grass is greener. It is assumed that there is a linkage of the American economy – Americans’ #1 concern - and the best place to live since the list is compiled by Money Magazine, according to a Yahoo! News report on Monday.
Money Magazine crunches the massive economic data to report on just how well towns throughout the United States are doing in these challenging times. The publication uses numbers from Onboard Informatics and other reliable sources to gauge a great number of criteria including a town’s current job growth, its unemployment rates, its appreciation of houses and property, and – of course, its overall affordability for its citizens.
To assist in avoiding errors in rating the top towns, Money Magazine staff visited the top scoring towns which helped them arrive at their goal of finding the top small towns in America.
For the record, Money Magazine alternates between naming the top large towns and the top small towns from year-to-year. This year, it was the small towns’ turn.
Besides being “thriving” towns, according to Money Magazine, these towns have just what a person wants when looking for a place to raise a family, including good schools, lots of green areas, and a strong community.
Without further ado, here are the best (small town) places to live in America.
Best Places to Live in America 2013 (small town edition)
- Sharon, Massachusetts – near Boston and Providence
- Louisville, Colorado – near Boulder and Denver
- Vienna, Virginia – near Washington, D.C.
- Chanhassen, Minnesota – near Minneapolis
- Sherwood, Oregon – near Portland
- Berkley Heights, New Jersey – near New York City
- Mason, Ohio – near Cincinnati and Dayton
- Papillion, Nebraska – near Omaha
- Apex, North Carolina – near Raleigh
- West Goshen, Pennsylvania – near Philadelphia and Wilmington, Delaware
- Westford, Massachusetts – near Boston
- Parker, Colorado – near Denver
- Montville, New Jersey – near New York City
- Farmington, Utah – near Salt Lake City
- Shrewsbury, Massachusetts – near Boston and Worcester
- Hillsborough, New Jersey – near Philadelphia, PA and New York City
- Apple Valley, Minnesota – near St. Paul and Minneapolis
- Westfield, Indiana – near Indianapolis
- Newcastle, Washington – near Seattle
- The Colony, Texas – near Dallas
- Savage, Minnesota – near Minneapolis
- Waukee, Iowa – near Des Moines
- Merrimack, New Hampshire – near Manchester and Nashua
- Firestone, Colorado – near Boulder
- Draper, Utah – near Salt Lake City
- Brookfield, Connecticut – near New York City
- Farmington, Michigan – near Detroit
- Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin – near Milwaukee
- Lindon, Utah – near Salt Lake City
- Windham, New Hampshire – near Boston, MA
- La Palma, California – near Los Angeles
- Coppell, Texas – near Dallas
- Suwanee, Georgia – near Atlanta
- Horsham, Pennsylvania – near Philadelphia
- Leesburg, Virginia – near Washington, D.C.
- Mill Creek, Washington – near Seattle
- Ankeny, Iowa – near Des Moines
- Twinsburg, Ohio – near Akron and Cleveland
- Cheshire, Connecticut – near New Haven, Hartford and Bridgeport
- Ballwin, Missouri – near St. Louis
- Montgomery Village, Maryland – near Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
- Solon, Ohio – near Cleveland
- Evans, Georgia – near Augusta
- Pflugerville, Texas – near Austin
- Spring Hill, Tennessee – near Nashville
- Buffalo Grove, Illinois – near Chicago
- Pelham, Alabama – near Birmingham
- Peachtree City, Georgia – near Atlanta
- Walnut, California – near Los Angeles
- Simsbury, Connecticut – near Hartford