Emily Blunt Santa Barbara, Calif., Sunday, Feb. 7, 2010. (AP Photo/Michael A. Mariant)
They are there in nearly every Rom Com. They are the truth speakers, the quirky comic relief, the tough love, the sympathizers. They are never the main characters, and only rarely do they get in on the romance. They are always there to support or point out the obvious truth when the lead actress can't see what's right in front of her nose. They are the best girlfirends. Since these women are an essential part of so many chick flicks, and rarely get the requisite recognition, here's a list of my favorite 20. The movies would not have been the same without them.
20. Carrie Fisher: When Harry Met Sally. The story is all about Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal, Fisher is always there in the background, doing the unexpected, getting a laugh, and being the all round reliable best friend.
19. Stacey Dash: Clueless. Fashionista gone wrong, Dash plays the quintessential superficial valley girl. Her performance beautifully complements the beloved Alicia Silverstone by showing us just what clueless means.N
18. Emily Blunt: Devil Wears Prada. She’s the up-tight, perfect personal assistant to evil Meryl Streep with one dream: fashion week in Paris. She goes from Anne Hathaway’s greatest enemy to her biggest fan and looks adorable doing it.
17. Whoopi Goldberg: Ghost. Okay, what better service can a BFF render you than channeling the ghost of your dead boyfriend? Goldberg helps Demi Moore discover the spirit of her lost love in this 80’s tear jerker. She even earned an Oscar for her performance.
16. Amy Pohler: Baby Mama. So right up there with channeling the dead as a service to your girl, I would put carrying her baby. Real life best friends Amy Pohler and Tina Fey play responsible wannabe-mom and baby-making-machine surrogate mother in this fun comedy.
15. Molly Shannon: Never Been Kissed. A famous comedienne in her own right, Shannon plays the friend and coworker of Drew Barrymore, Anita, who sleeps with men even though she hates them. Slowly her hard philosophy and superficial behavior begin to change as Josie Geller’s sweet spirit rub off.
14. Rosie O’Donnell: Sleepless in Seattle. Snarky, bitter, and lovable, she played Meg Ryan’s coworker in this Rom Com classic.
13. Rupert Everett: My Best Friend’s Wedding. So sometimes a best girlfriend is in fact…a dude. Everett plays Julia Robert’s gay buddy who poses as her boyfriend to help her win Dermot Mulroney’s heart. Witty, sarcastic, and ultimately with our heroine’s best interests at heart, Everett still fits our criteria for best supporting girlfriend.
12. Kate Winslet: Sense and Sensibility. This film about two very different sisters featured the incredible talents of Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet. Thompson plays the sensible older sister that is the main character, but Winslet carries a huge portion of the story as well. Together they learn the good aspects of each other’s personalities, and how they can be there for each other in heartbreak.
Toni Collette Jan. 23, 2010, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Vince Bucci)
11. Joan Cusack: Runaway Bride. Kind of crazy, yet as faithful a friend as anyone could ever want, can’t-miss-comedienne Joan Cusack played Julia Roberts’ maid of honor.
9 &10 Julie Walters and Kristine Baranski: Mamma Mia. They are the lifelong friends we all want! Playing quirky Rosie and Tanya opposite the brilliant Meryl Streep, Walters and Baranski bring a feeling of lighthearted fun and a strong desire not to act your age to this classic musical.
7 & 8. Toni Collette: Emma & In Her Shoes. Playing the uncultured and innocent Harriett Smith across from Gwyneth Paltrow made us laugh and love her. Later, Collette appeared as the on-edge older sister in In Her Shoes across from…
6. Cameron Diaz: In Her Shoes. Sometimes your best friend is your sister. Whether you know it or not. Diaz plays the ditzy and beautiful younger sister who discovers why the women in her family are so important.
5. Uma Thurman: The Truth About Cats and Dogs. Blonde bombshell Uma Thurman usually gets the starring role and the gorgeous dude, but in this fabulous comedy, she takes a back seat to Janeane Garufalo. The relationship between dramatically different women is a beautiful thing to watch unfold.
Sept. 8, 2009 shows actress Sarah Jessica Parker on location for "Sex and the City 2" in New York. (AP Photo/Charles Sykes)
1-4. Sarah Jessica Parker, Kristin Davis, Kim Katrall, Cynthia Nixon: Sex in the City. We have loved them for years as TV’s most famous girlfriends Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda. What would the movie be without anyone of them? They represent relationships we recognize both around us and within ourselves. All four get nominated for the Best Supporting Girlfriend award.