Consumer reports has researched sunblock on the market and found there is a bigger gap between the SPF number and the actual protection you get from UVA and UVB rays. Which is a serious misnomer because the wrong protection can contribute to sunburn, aging skin, and quite possibly skin cancer in some people.
Ingredients in sunblock that do other kinds of harm
Retinol palmitate is one ingredient pregnant women and those using acne medications should avoid. RP is a part of the retinoid vitamin A family, but when mixed with RP found in sunblock and acne medication retinoids (cancer) it becomes toxic and does damage (sunblock causes birth defects in pregnant women)
Applying sunblock-sun protection
Sunblock needs to be applied 15 to 30 minutes before you go out into the sun. Sunblock needs to be applied every two hours, no matter what kind of sunblock you are using, because of swimming and sweating.
For sensitive skin, and face,
- Vanicream SPF 30, no breakouts, thick but worth it.
- Coppertone Sunscreen SPF 50, hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, and waterproof.
- Neutrogena Sensitive Sunscreen Lotion SPF 60, light.
- Blue Lizard SPF 30 and the best protection on the market for sensitive skin.
- Cotz SPF 40, calms easily irritated skin while keeping the sun’s rays from the skin
- Eucerin Q10 Anti-wrinkle Sensitive, SPF 15, non-irritating and supports the skin, reducing wrinkles and signs of premature aging.
- Burn Out SPF 50, non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, and perfect for sensitive, virgin skin of the sun. Free of chemicals, PADA, paraben, petroleum. Rich plankton extracts support the skin. Biodegradable, water-resistant and won’t sting if it gets into the eyes.
- BabyGanics SPF 50+, hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, and perfect for sensitive, virgin skin of the sun. Free of PADA, paraben, petroleum. Water-resistant.
- Seventh Generation Baby Sunscreen, SPF 30, free of chemicals, PABA, and gluten. Do not apply to broken or irritated skin.
- California Baby Sunscreen, SPF 30 organic and sustain-ably grown ingredients, does not stig if it gets in the eyes, doesn't stain clothing, washes off with soap and water, expensive.
- Badger Chamomile and Calendula Broad Spectrum, SPF 34,incredibly safe and gentle and most effective because it contains uncoated zinc which is the most effective in blocking out sun rays.
- All-Terrain Aquasport Sunscreen, SPF 30, oxybenzone free, wont sting, contains vitamin E, sunflower oil, creamy and light.
- Kiss My Face Sport Clear Spray Spritz, SPF 50, best for long-term staying put and blocking the sun’s rays. Gluten, phthalate free. Biodegradable and vegan. Quick-drying.
- Banana Boat Sunscreen Ultramist Sport, AvoTriplex technology keeps it from breaking down in the sun and when sweating t provide the ultimate in sun protection. SPF 30. Non-greasy formula, doesn't get sweated into eyes.
- Should you take a sunscreen pill?
- Fair skin, hair and freckles, sunburn care.
To get the latest updates from Atlanta Holistic Health Examiner Tina Ranieri ‘click’ the subscribe button above. To view her body of articles ‘click’ Tina Ranieri, Holistic Health Examiner, or Atlanta Fishing Examiner.