During the fall, apples are plentiful and what could pare better with apples than pork. They just seem so perfect together. Sitting in the fridge was a pork tenderloin that was already grilled and seasoned in a Mexican-style seasoning. There were also apples and an interesting honey apple butter from Trader Joe's just waiting to be used. Seems to be the perfect start of a quick and easy dinner.
A great place to get apples in Mesa is Superstition Ranch Market at 4755 E Main St Mesa. They have a fabulous variety of apples. Trader Joe's, also in Mesa, is where you will find the honey apple butter used in this dish. If you cannot find it, just use apple butter and maybe a little bit of honey added in to the dish.
From start to finish, this dish took less than 15 minutes and the recipe garnered a thumbs up from the diners. If you do not have a pre-cooked pork tenderloin, you can either grill one up quickly or even use pork chops in its place.
Honey Apple Pork Tenderloin
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 apples diced (we used Jonagold but Granny Smith would be wonderful too)
- ¾ cup beef or chicken broth
- 4 – 6 tbsp Trader Joe's honey apple butter (depending upon how sweet you want it and how large apples and pork are
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 cooked (undercooked is best) pork tenderloin cut on bias
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare this, heat the oil in a sauté pan. Add the onion and sauté for a minute. Add the garlic and applies to the onion and sauté for about 2-3 minutes. You want the apples to just start softening.
- Add in the Trader Joe’s honey apple butter and broth. Stir together for the flavors to meld. Stir in the thyme.
- Add the pork to the sauce and let it cook for a minute or two. My pork was slightly undercooked. I cut it on the bias which allowed it to cook quickly. I like my pork so that it is slightly pink in the center but you can cook it the way you like it.
- We served this with zucchini, which we also cooked in the sauce. It would be wonderful with spaetzle for a perfect Oktoberfest dinner.