This absolutely delicious oatmeal cookie recipe is truly the best! These oatmeal cookies are even better than Grandma used to make. Here is a sweet, soft, chewy cookie that has a wonderful brown-sugary taste. This could definitely become your family favorite.
Oatmeal cookies with raisins always seem like they are somewhat good for you. In a certain way, that’s true! Oatmeal offers fiber, B vitamins, and minerals. Raisins are high in iron, potassium, and fiber. These can’t be bad for you!
Cookie baking is truly an art. Here are a few simple rules that you should follow for the best possible results:
- As with anything you bake, use the best ingredients: real butter, real vanilla, etc. Check dates of shortening or any other ingredients that have a tendency to spoil.
- Allow your butter and eggs to set at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to baking. Your butter will cream better and your eggs will attain more volume during the beating process.
- Measure your ingredients properly: firmly pack the brown sugar in the measuring cup to get a proper measure, level off the top of the flour without packing it down, etc.
- Use a cookie scoop (looks like a small ice cream scoop) – this makes each of your cookies the same size which means that every cookie on your pan will be done at the same time.
- If the recipe calls for chilling the dough, ensure that you chill it thoroughly – overnight, if possible, or at least 4 hours. (If cookies are spreading too much, chilling your dough may help.)
- Make sure the oven has reached the correct temperature before baking the cookies.
- Use shiny, heavy-gauge cookie sheets without sides. Make sure that the baking pan is cool or at room temperature before putting the cookie dough on it.
- If the recipe calls for a “greased” cookie sheet, use vegetable shortening or line the pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.
- Do not crowd the cookies on the pan or crowd the oven with multiple cookie sheets – put in one cookie sheet at a time.
- Always check the cookies at the minimum baking time, to ensure they do not overbake.
Best Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
Ingredients for the Best Oatmeal Cookies:
- 3 eggs, well-beaten
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups oatmeal
- ¾ cup pecans, chopped (optional)
Directions for the Best Oatmeal Cookies:
A VERY IMPORTANT FIRST STEP: Combine the eggs, raisins, and vanilla – let stand for one hour.
Cream together the butter and sugars. Add the flour, salt, cinnamon, and soda – mix well.
Blend in the egg/raisin mixture, oatmeal, and nuts (if using). Dough will be stiff.
Form into balls and dip into granulated sugar. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 350 degrees for 8 – 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Other great cookie recipes:
Chocolate chip and peanut butter cookie recipe – a family favorite
Ginger cream cookie recipe – oh my, these are soft and so delicious
No bake cookie recipe – peanut butter, marshmallows, raisins, yum!
Click on “SUBSCRIBE” above to receive email alerts of yummy recipes!