Intro: Hangover cures that work -- they're like the fountain of youth, really. Elusive and maybe only myths. That said, aside from prevention, there are some things you can do to ease that pounding head of yours into the new year. The best food for hangovers are selections that help your body replace what it lost.
- Deviled eggs make 'eggsceptional' holiday dish: 5 recipes for Christmas
- Banana peach smoothie recipe with yogurt, other breakfast smoothie recipes
- Healthy fruit smoothie recipes: Black cherry smoothie with banana and flaxseeds
Hangover Cures That Work: What You Need is Probably Already in Your Fridge
Five foods come up over and over again on various hangover cures lists that I've seen, and if you're like me, you probably already have them on hand. Maybe not all three, but a couple.
- Bet you didn't know these facts about eggs: They have an amino acid called cysteine, which breaks down the toxins in your body. Additionally, they have vitamin B.
- There may be a reason why you crave that banana smoothie the day after New Year's Eve. Bananas make it on the "best food for hangovers" list, because they help the body replenish potassium.
- "Hair of the dog' remedies like Bloody Marys after imbibing are some hangover cures that people swear by. The idea is to consume more of that which made you sick. However, it's the tomato juice that your body needs, not necessarily more alcohol. Tomato juice gives you back some of the simple sugars that will stop your blood sugar levels from going crazy and it's an anti-inflammatory, making this one of the best hangover cures.
- That asparagus that you love so much also falls into the "best food for hangovers" category. The veggie is packed with important enzymes that help clean up your system. Eat it steamed or on a baked potato and get some extra potassium from the potato and enzymes from the asparagus.
- And the food (or rather drink) that may not be in your fridge, but should be: Coconut water. It gives your body back its electrolytes it needs to recover.
New Year's Day Humor: Funny Hangover Quotes to Get You Through the Day
Dieting on New Year's Day isn't a good idea as you can't eat rationally but really need to be free to consume whatever is necessary, moment by moment, in order to ease your hangover. I think it would be much more sensible if resolutions began generally on January the second. Helen Fielding
Grease is the only cure for a hangover. Cameron Diaz
Don't know if you can put Ms. Diaz's option in the hangover cures that work category, although many people swear by it. And at the end of the day, the best hangover cures probably just involve all of us laying in bed with a big jug of water or coconut water by our bed, some pain killers and plenty of sleep.
Sources: About.com, Fox News, Rodale News