Disney Fantasy, Disney Cruise Line’s newest vessel, won the Best for Families Award in Cruise Critic’s annual Cruisers’ Choice Awards. The awards are based on reviews submitted by cruisers for cruises taken in 2012. Cruise Critic, an online community and cruise guide, announced the winners in a Feb. 27 press release.
The Cruisers’ Choice Awards categorizes ships in three classes: Large ships with passenger capacities of more than 2,000; mid-sized with capacities between 1,200 and 1,900 and small with capacities of less than 1,900. Ships are evaluated in 10 different areas including value, shore excursions, service, public rooms, entertainment, fitness, embarkation, dining, cabins and best overall. The Best for Families Award is chosen from all ship sizes.
Disney Fantasy, in addition to Best for Families, took best overall, best cabins, entertainment, public rooms and service in the Large Ships class. Another Disney ship, Disney Dream, won Best Shore Excursions. Other winners in the Large Ship class are Celebrity Reflection for dining and Royal Caribbean’s Allure of the Seas for fitness and embarkation. Celebrity Eclipse took the Best Value for Money award in the Large Ships class.
"These awards are based entirely on reviews submitted by cruisers, so offer a terrific insight into what consumers think of the ships they have sailed on. It's interesting to note that eight out of 10 awards in the Large Ship category went to ships launched within the past two years, so it seems that cruisers are enthusiastic about many of the emerging trends in dining, entertainment and onboard experiences." — Carolyn Spencer Brown, editor-in-chief of Cruise Critic.
Awards in the mid-size and small ships classes:
Best Mid-Sized Ships:
- Noordam (Holland America): Best Overall Mid-Sized Ship
- Marina (Oceania): Best Cabins, Best Dining, Best Public Rooms
- Thomson Dream: Best Entertainment, Best Service
- Westerdam (Holland America): Best for Fitness, Best Shore Excursions
- Norwegian Spirit: Best Value for Money
- Celebrity Summit: Best for Embarkation
Best Small Ships:
- Azamara Quest: Best Overall Small Ship, Best for Fitness, Best for Service
- Azamara Journey: Best Value for Money
- Crystal Serenity: Best Dining, Best Entertainment
- Crystal Symphony: Best Public Rooms
- Seabourn Odyssey: Best Cabins
- Seven Seas Navigator (Regent): Best Shore Excursions
- Wind Surf (Windstar): Best for Embarkation
The Cruise Critic website, launched in 1995 by a subsidiary of Trip Advisor, has more than 100,000 reviews that cover approximately 400 of the most popular cruise ships.