The price of cabbage is always low around St. Patrick's Day, making it the perfect time to pick up some extra. Cabbage is a wonderful choice for a high fiber, low meat, meal.
One easy, and tasty, side meal to try is this creamed cabbage. Garlic lovers can add in a clove (or two) with the onions.
5 slices bacon
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon flour
Pinch of salt and pepper
Small onion, chopped
1 medium head cabbage, cored and shredded
1/2 cup sour cream
Panko bread crumbs
Spray (butter) a casserole dish and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
1. Brown bacon in a deep skillet until evenly cooked. Move to a paper towel. Chop once cooled and set aside.
2. Keeping the pan on medium heat: slightly sauté the onions in the bacon drippings. Whisk in the butter, flour, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in the milk.
3. Add the cabbage Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until cabbage begins to get tender, about 10 minutes.
4. Stir bacon and sour cream into the cabbage mixture before transferring the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
5. Sprinkle panko crumbs over the casserole and bake until cooked through, around 12 minutes.