Blending or juicing is extremely beneficial for the digestive system. It also means you are introducing several vitamins into the body for overall added health. Another benefit is the enzymes - they provide the body with the energy and endurance necessary for top performance.
Using organic produce is important.
Getting more raw nutrients into your diet is a great start, but considering the chemicals you may be running through your blender or juicer is also a concern.
The Dirty Dozen are foods considered to be most contaminated with chemicals. It is especially important to consider eating the following foods in organic form: potatoes, spinach, apples, strawberries, celery, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, hot peppers, sweet bell peppers, nectarines (imported), and peaches.
Get your natural, organic energy boost today with this sweet, refreshing smoothie. It contains potassium and plenty of vitamins A and C.
Directions for a Berry Mojito Smoothie:
Add the following ingredients, in the order provided, to your blender or extractor.
Blend to desired consistency:
- 1 lime, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup mint
- ½ cup strawberries; fresh or frozen
- ½ cup mixed berries; fresh or frozen
- 1 cucumber (peeling included)
- Ice cubes (optional)
• Add additional water to achieve desired consistency.
• Consider adding dark, leafy green vegetables that are high in fiber.
• CAUTION: If you are experiencing an agitated digestive system, the fiber content in whole fruits and vegetables may add further stress. However, by extracting plant foods it can aid in replenishing nutrients lost in diarrhea while making it easier for your body to break down the food sources and absorb them quickly.
• For diabetic or weight issues, ingesting more high fiber fruits, vegetables, and legumes (leafy greens, cabbage, berries, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, apples, and beans) help combat free radicals.
• Soluble fiber (once in the intestines) slows the absorption of sugars in the blood – allowing the body to feel full and limiting insulin spikes.
• Always consult your physician if you have special diet or health related issues.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
• Boise Co-Op
• Brown Box Organics
• The Organic Store Locator
• Trader Joe’s
• Whole Foods Market
• Learn more about the benefits of vitamin C by clicking on the link in this sentence.
• Learn more about fiber benefits by clicking on the WebMD link in this sentence.
• For more information on dirty dozen foods, click on the link in this sentence.
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe - enjoyed with organics and nutrition in mind.