It is that time of year again for the Berks County Bard Festival 2014. This is the 16 years the poetry festival which is held in April to coincide with National Poetry Month.
The homegrown month long festival is completely volunteer-run and features performances throughout the Reading, PA and Berks County area at colleges, libraries, restaurants, businesses and other places. Most of the event are free. Scheduled poets include both local, regional as well as national poets such as Minna Bromberg, Elizabeth Stanley, lester Hirsh and others.
According to their Facebook page Berks Bards, "is a grassroots poetry group with the aim to encourage the lively art of poetry in Berks County."
The group meets the first Thursday of each month in the first floor Cafe in the GoggleWorks, Second & Washington St, Reading, PA. Monthly poetry readings feature an invited poet and an open mic.
Upcoming events in the Berks Bard Fest include:
- Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at Mifflin Community Library at 6:30 p.m. with Poetry Out Loud contestants
- Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at Clay on Main in Oley with Lester Hirsh and Minna Bromberg
- Thursday, April 24, 2014 bid on a Basket of Poetry at the Goodwill Re-Design Contest & Runway Show at 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 26, 2014 3-5 p.m. in Pottsville at All Things Good featuring Charles Cantalupo
- Saturday, April 26, 2014 1 p.m. at the Pagoda with Cortney Bledsoe
- Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7-9 p.m. at winedown cafe & winebar party room in West Reading with Rick Kearns and The Con Alma Quartet
For more information on Berks Bard Fest 2014 check out BerksBards.blogspot.com