Remote Database Administration assists an organization to focus its efforts on the core field of operations that it usually performs by outsourcing all of its database operations. It solves the problem of exploding database management requirements for an organization.
Database administration is a crucial component for smooth functioning of an organization since it handles the most important asset of the company, data. Various routine tasks are associated with database administration that ensure the availability and authenticity of data. These routine tasks include:
- performance analysis and tuning
- data dictionary maintenance
- database design
- disaster recovery
As the volume of data within an enterprise increases, scheduling of these tasks becomes a problem for the company. In order to match the growing needs, the company can either hire specialized database administrators (DBAs) or outsource its database administration tasks.
Hiring or increasing the team size of the DBAs is not always an efficient solution as it increases the cost of operations and eventually decreases the profit of the company. The routine tasks of these DBAs are certainly crucial for database administration but do not provide any revenue generating abilities. On top of that, if new DBAs are added into the team, it increases the expenditure on database administration unnecessarily.
Remote database administration, on the other hand, is more beneficial for a company in terms of maintaining the administrative tasks related to database and saving considerable amount of cost at the same time. Remote database administration increases the ROI of an organization including the following benefits:
- Improve uptime, performance and system availability: Dedicated database administration by an outsourced organization continuously monitors the problem which requires immediate attention or can be changed later on. This rectifies the problem areas continuously and enhances the performance of the database.
- Cost Effective: In-house DBAs are practically more expensive than remotely monitored database assistance. Overall cost of deploying a dedicated organization for monitoring the database is comparatively low making it more cost effective. Cost of maintenance is also low in remote administration of database.
- Reduced response time for problem resolution: Since a dedicated team of DBAs focuses on the database of an organization 24X7, problem tracking and speed of solving the issue is faster.
- Proactive Analysis: 24X7 monitoring to collect various database metrics for accurate analysis and capacity planning efforts. Reports generated provide a detailed insight in the management activities and help in taking effective decision proactively.
In order to increase the mileage of financial resources, it is desired to optimize all the resources involved in the operations of an organization. Deploying remote DBA is one such consideration in resource optimization where efficient cost effective measures including the human resource optimization are performed.