Skip to main content

See also:

Beltran leaves with injury as Yanks drop Subway Series opener

Carlos Beltran is headed for an MRI after injuring his elbow swinging in the batting cage between at-bats on Monday.
Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images

NEW YORK – The New York Yankees lost more than just the Subway Series opener on Monday night, as starting right fielder Carlos Beltran was lost to an elbow injury during their 9-7 loss to the New York Mets.

After the game, manager Joe Girardi confirmed that Beltran removed himself from the game due to a hyper-extended right elbow. John Ryan Murphy came on to pinch-hit.

“Yeah, there’s concern,” Girardi said to reporters after the game.

Girardi told the media that Beltran hurt himself taking swings in the cages between at-bats. He will undergo an MRI to find out the severity of the injury, which will determine the team’s next move. In all likelihood, Girardi will provide an update, and possibly a roster move, prior to Tuesday’s game. If he were to need a stint on the disabled list, switch-hitting outfielder Zoilo Almonte is the likeliest candidate to be recalled from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Losing Beltran would be a big blow to the Yankees offense. The 37-year-old has hit just .238 this season, but is second on the team with five home runs and ten doubles. He also comes in as the team’s third-leading run producer, having driven home 15 runs so far this year.

It is worth noting that Girardi said reserve outfielder Ichiro Suzuki was also not available due to a sore knee and back from Sunday’s sliding attempt. Suzuki then clarified Girardi’s comments, indicating his knee is fine, and his back is the main issue. To prove his point, Suzuki then punched his knee multiple times to show reporters that he felt fine. Suzuki did not feel that a trip to the disabled list would be necessary.

If needed in a pinch, Yangervis Solarte and Kelly Johnson both have some experience playing in the outfield, though it is believed Girardi would prefer to avoid either scenario.