A beloved dog in Los Angeles, Calif., has died following a bizarre encounter with a barbecue smoker, reported Thursday's NBC 4 News.
The five-year-old golden retriever, named "Curry," somehow wound up with her head stuck inside of the metal smoker on Monday. Her guardian, frantic for help, called the Los Angeles fire department for help.
Firefighters from Station 71 arrived to the Westwood area home and worked for nearly two hours to free the trapped dog.
Curry's guardian wrote about the firefighters' amazing efforts on behalf of her dog:
"The only reason Curry had a fighting chance to improve at the hospital, was because of the quick response, capability, determination, leadership, teamwork and kindness shown by the numerous firefighters who came to rescue her.
I saw how hard they worked for about 1 1/2 hours with a nearly impossible situation, and how they were able to free her. When they needed more help they didn't hesitate to call for more help.
They gave her water, oxygen, tried to get her head back through the pipe, and when they realized it wasn't possible, they cut through 1/4" stainless steel and cut away the 3" thick wall of clay, cut through the 1/4" thick stainless metal pipe, used the jaws of life to pry apart the metal, all the while vacuuming up the clay dust created in the oven so that she could breathe.
Curry's devastated guardian shared a word of warning for other dog owners who may have a curious pup who is capable of getting into harm's way:
Even if you can't imagine your dog putting her head through a small hole or pipe, if there is the smell of food involved, she may just be tempted enough to do it. Or, she could run into the same problem chasing a lizard or small animal.
In a letter to the fire department, Curry's guardian implied that her dog had died from complications of heat stroke following the long, stressful ordeal.
Despite the devastating end to this sad situation, Curry's family is grateful to the firefighters who stepped up to help save her life.
I can't tell you how impressed I was with the attention every one of the firefighters gave to our dog and how careful they were with her.
Our family will forever be thankful for all that the brave firefighters did to help Curry, and that they persevered so that she didn't die in that situation in front of our young teenage sons."
If you would like to continue receiving the latest dog related news, tips and advice, please click the "Subscribe" icon which is located at the top of this column.
It is free and anonymous to sign up For updates and further discussion, follow the National Dog News Examiner on Facebook and Twitter!
I am human; if you see a typo, please let me know. Questions, comments or story ideas can be emailed to Eims1@live.com.