Beginning in August, Bell's Brewery (Michigan) will rollout a new series of beers inspired by The Planets by Gustav Holst.
The Planets, Op. 32, is an orchestral suite in seven movements written by English composer Gustav Holst during the early 1900s. Rather than drawing from astronomy or mythology, this piece of music was actually inspired by the astrological significance of the planets and was presented as "a series of mood pictures." After it was first performed publicly and in its entirety in 1920, The Planets proved to be an instant success that has been a constant inspiration from inception to present day. That inspiration has now spilled over into the world of craft beer with the creation of this series of beers from Bell's Brewery.
“Our two most successful brands come from a couple of my great literary references. This time, I took inspiration from a great piece of music,” said Larry Bell, Bell’s President and Founder. “This piece, being in seven movements, gives us a lot of freedom to innovate and create,” he added.
This beer series from Bell's will also consist of seven offerings, each one inspired by its namesake from the orchestral suite. The series will begin in August with the release of Mars, the Bringer of War -- a Double India Pale Ale. New offerings will release every two months, and that schedule reads as follows:
- August 2014: Mars, the Bringer of War - Double IPA
- October 2014: Venus, the Bringer of Peace - A Blonde Ale brewed with honey, apricot, vanilla and cardamom
- December 2014: Mercury, the Winged Messenger - A Belgian Single
- February 2015: Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity - A malt forward Brown Ale
- April 2015: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age - A Bourbon Barrel-aged Barleywine
- May 2015: Uranus, the Magician - Black Double IPA
- July 2015: Neptune, the Mystic - A beer inspired by Dr. Bell’s Medicinal Stout, one of Larry Bell’s homebrews that also helped inspire Eccentric Ale
Each beer will be a limited release and will be available in six-packs of 12 oz. bottles and on draft. The Planets beer series will be available in Alabama and in all areas you currently find offerings from Bell's Brewery.
As a music addict and former band nerd, I am pretty excited about Bell's creating a beer series influenced by a piece of music I have always enjoyed and found inspirational. If you happen to be unfamiliar with The Planets or would simply like to enjoy each beer while listening to its corresponding piece of music, you can click here to visit the Bell's Brewery website that contains each movement of the musical piece and astronomical facts about each planet. This series gives you a pretty unique chance to add hearing to your sensory experience with craft beer, so grab the beers that speak to your palate and enjoy this fun experiment that brings the worlds of music and beer together. Prost!