It is that time of year when the Christmas goose has gotten fat, the chestnuts are all lined up ready to be roasted, and the firewood is neatly stacked all in anticipation for the most joyous time of the year. But, where there is great joy there is also great sorrow. For the 1% brings another year of great wealth. For the remaining 99% they continue to struggle day after day. If the media spent even 1/2 the amount of time it does exploiting the materialism of Christmas on the plight of too many Americans it just might wake up our comatose leaders of state.
There have been forays into the realities of the daily life of the 99% but, not nearly enough to push needed reforms through Congress that would effectively help those millions of Americans who desperately need a helping hand especially this holiday season. It is as though members of Congress when confronted with the numbers they always come up with 1+2=5. Denial has always been a part of Congress's repertoire when faced with overwhelming evidence of what is actually going on in Anytown, USA. They have yet to put on the table authentic proposals that would be viable to remedy the current fiscal and economical crises America faces today.
The top 1% have seen a ongoing surge in the stock market while and housing prices continue to increase which only continues to fatten all those already fat wallets. With the media exploiting the unemployment figures, exploiting by way of really not telling the whole story have made sure the status quo will probably remain. Sure jobs were added and some with mediocre wages but, by an large those that landed employment the wages have yet equate to a living wage. Meanwhile inflationary trends are only increasing making the cost of living that much more expensive. The harsh reality is that the 99% haven't yet seen any real authentic improvement in their livelihoods or their lives.
When the Federal reserve recently stated that Americans had regained all the wealth they had lost during the so called Great Recession is misrepresentation of the underling facts. Much of the wealth lost was in the forms of pensions, 401k plans, home values and stock portfolios that all saw a great financial loss. But it didn't affect the 1% that much at all. Most of that money lost came at the expense of the 99%. The truth of the matter is the recouping of all that was lost now is funneled right into the bank accounts and stock portfolios of the 1%.
With Congress hem and hawing over the budget deal time line gives little hope that this holiday season will bring joy into the homes of millions of Americans. Whether to deny unemployment benefits, cut more out of Social Security, or other drastic measures that have only exasperated current economic and financial conditions all across the country our most benevolent benefactors of state just can't grasp how precariously close the United States really is in falling into a cataclysm of financial and economic disaster.
Someone once said desperate times call for desperate measures. Well for far too long the majority of United States citizens have been inundated in harsh realities not of their own making but by the policies, and attitudes that have been festering and coming to ahead for the past 30 years. They have all manifested into the desperate times too many are faced with today. Congress in their blatant disregard for the majority of the electorate have managed to keep the income disparity gap widening. A political and financial juggernaut on a collision course with disaster is the current direction this country is headed.
Desperate measures are the only recourse that will stave off disaster. Behind the numbers that tell the tale of a nation on the verge of calamity. There is still time thwart disaster and chart a new course onto a brighter future for all Americans. But, it starts with each one of us to realize that our current legislatures and our political system have become so corrupted. And, where there is corruption there is little chance the status quo will change. Challenging the status quo is by no means and easy task but, the future lies in reforming the very structure of our political process. And that starts with National Economic Reform and implementing it's Ten Articles Of Confederation. The future lies within us all. Do we dare remain in our complacency or do we embrace change that brings about a new day? Or do we quiver and hide under the cloak of deception wielded by the powers that be?