The New Orleans Saints are one of five undefeated teams left in the NFL after they demolished the Miami Dolphins 38-17 to send them to their first loss. On Sept. 30, 2013, the Saints proved on national television that they are a team to contend with and one that shouldn't be taken lightly now that Rob Ryan is in town and Sean Payton is back on the sideline.
Drew Brees had an almost perfect game on Monday night as he threw for over 400 yards, had his ninth straight 300+ passing yard game, and won for the ninth straight time on "Monday Night Football." Without having an interception, Brees is showing the type of play that will put him in the MVP-race.
The defense of New Orleans is what is impressing so much though.
The Saints had four sacks and caused four turnovers to help down the Dolphins and keep them at bay. This is not the same "worst defense in NFL history" unit that played last year, and it is one that is looking very much like the days of the old Dome Patrol.
The Saints are just dominating teams on both sides of the ball, and they have so many people to thank for being 4-0. Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is one of the biggest to thank though because his defensive unit is doing things that a Saints' team hasn't done in a long time, if ever.
Some other interesting numbers:
New Orleans Saints (net):
- Total yards: 465 yards
- Passing yards: 397 yards
- Rushing yards: 68 yards
- Penalties: 6 penalties for 45 yards
- Turnovers: 1 turnover
- Time of possession: 33:49
Saints top performers:
- Drew Brees: 30-39, 413 yards, 4 TDs, 144.5 rating
- Darren Sproles: 4 rush for 25 yards; 7 rec for 114 yards, 2 TDs
- Marques Colston: 7 rec for 96 yards
- Jimmy Graham: 4 rec for 100 yards, 2 TDs
- Malcolm Jenkins: 2 tackles, 1 interception
Miami Dolphins (net):
- Total yards: 331 yards
- Passing yards: 216 yards
- Rushing yards: 115 yards
- Penalties: 5 penalties for 25 yards
- Turnovers: 4 turnovers
- Time of possession: 26:11
Dolphins top performers:
- Ryan Tannehill: 22-35, 249 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs, 57.9 rating
- Lamar Miller: 11 rush for 62 yards
- Brandon Gibson: 6 rec for 71 yards
- Charles Clay: 6 rec for 41 yards, 1 TD
Please be sure to check out SaintsReport.com for more.