The New Orleans Saints pulled off a great victory in week one of the new NFL season, and it made it even better that it was over the Atlanta Falcons. On Sunday, Sept. 8, 2013, the Saints defeated the Falcons 23-17, and they now sit atop the NFC South as the only team with a victory. What needs to be looked at though, is just how well the Saints played on both sides of the ball.
Offensively, the Saints took a little while to get things going, but then it looked like they hadn't missed a beat.
Drew Brees came out and took the bull by the horns. Brees ended the day completing 26-of-35 passes for 357 yards and two touchdowns. He ended up with one interception, but had a really good game otherwise and made great decisions while out there.
In 2012, the Saints' defense was given the title of being the worst in the history of the NFL. Throughout the year, only four opponents were kept under 400 yards of total offense. On Sunday, the Saints held the Falcons to 367 total yards, and that has to be looked at as an improvement.
Let's not forget that New Orleans caused two turnovers, and Roman Harper was involved in both of them. Harper recovered a fumble early in the game and then intercepted Matt Ryan to seal the victory for the Saints.
New Orleans Saints:
- Total yards: 419 yards
- Passing yards: 341 yards
- Rushing yards: 78 yards
- Penalties: 6 penalties for 57 yards
- Turnovers: 1 turnover
- Time of possession: 35:11
Saints top performers:
- Drew Brees: 26-35, 357 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 113.6 rating
- Pierre Thomas: 9 rush for 43 yards; 4 rec for 16 yards
- Marques Colston: 5 rec for 68 yards, 1 TD
- Darren Sproles: 6 rec for 88 yards; 8 rush for 22 yards
- Total yards: 367 yards
- Passing yards: 279 yards
- Rushing yards: 88 yards
- Penalties: 2 penalties for 19 yards
- Turnovers: 2 turnovers
- Time of possession: 24:29
Falcons top performers:
- Matt Ryan: 25-38, 304 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 96.8 rating
- Steven Jackson : 11 rush for 77 yards; 5 rec for 45 yards
- Harry Douglas: 4 rec for 93 yards
- Julio Jones: 7 rec for 76 yards, 1 TD
Please be sure to check out SaintsReport.com for more.