Beck officially has one of the strangest releases of the year with his sheet-music collection entitled “Song Reader.” Luckily, the collection will get a recorded release on July 29 under the title “Warby Parker Presents Beck Song Reader.” The catch is Beck will only sing on one of the tracks, “Heaven''s Ladder.” The other 20 tunes will be belted out by the likes of Jack White, Jack Black, Jeff Tweedy, Fun., Norah Jones, and David Johansen among others. The complete tracklist can be found below.
This release ties in with the debut of Beck's limited edition black cherry eyeglass frame by Warby Parker, who is producing the album. Proceeds from the album's sales will go to 826 National, a nonprofit organization that helps students with writing and reading at various locations in the US. Chicago has its own branch in Wicker Park called 826 Chicago. Warby Parker will also give a pair of frames to someone in need for every pair of Beck's frames that sells, as part of their “Buy a Pair, Give a Pair” program.
Earlier this year, Beck released his twelfth studio album “Morning Phase” to critical acclaim. He will also be one of the headliners for this year's Pitchfork Festival, alongside Neutral Milk Hotel, and Kendrick Lamar. For more information on the upcoming release and to grab his new album, visit Beck's website.
“Warby Parker Presents Beck Song Reader” tracklist:
1. Moses Sumney, "Title of This Song"
2. Fun., "Please Leave a Light on When You Go"
3. Tweedy, "The Wolf Is on the Hill"
4. Norah Jones, "Just Noise"
5. Lord Huron, "Last Night You Were a Dream"
6. Bob Forrest, "Saint Dude"
7. Jack White, "I'm Down"
8. Beck, "Heaven's Ladder"
9. Juanes, "Don't Act Like Your Heart Isn't Hard"
10. Laura Marling, "Sorry"
11. Jarvis Cocker, "Eyes That Say 'I Love You'"
12. David Johansen, "Rough on Rats"
13. Jason Isbell, "Now That Your Dollar Bills Have Sprouted Wings"
14. Marc Ribot, "The Last Polka"
15. Eleanor Friedberger, "Old Shanghai"
16. Sparks, "Why Did You Make Me Care?"
17. Swamp Dogg, "America, Here's My Boy"
18. Jack Black, "We All Wear Cloaks"
19. Loudon Wainwright III, "Do We? We Do"
20. Gabriel Kahane & Ymusic, "Mutilation Rag"