The third annual “Bike For Beck” combined with “BeckFest” was bigger and better than ever this past Sunday with more riders, more sponsors, more booths and more guests than ever before.
Riders began gathering as early as 7:00 a.m. for their choice of 12, 25, 60 or 80 mile routes through the scenic Cleveland Metroparks Valley Parkway Trail system. The 80 mile route was added this year in celebration of the 80th anniversary of the center.
Over the course of the day, the festivities (that concluded at 3:00 p.m.) also had guests invited to celebrate BeckFest which featured all kinds of family activities including:
• “Hear and Touch the Music” children’s play area
• Dave Brewer Drum Circle
• Performances by “Something Dada”, Beck Center’s own Improv Group
• Sidewalk Chalk Art
• Pottery Art Demonstrations
• “Adopt a Pot” benefit sale
• Unicycle demonstrations
• A bicycle obstacle course put together by Ray’s Indoor Mountain Bike Park
• Bike Cleveland’s “Bike Blender” concocting free smoothies
• Chris Hodgson’s Hodge Podge Food Truck
• Elsie’s Crepes
• The Sweet Shop
• Face Painting
• Appearance by the Lakewood Police bicycle corp
• A kid friendly art table
• Live music by Chris Burge Trio, Fireside, and The Madison Crawl
• Free massages by Massage Heights
• Beat Cycles helping with free minor repairs and adjustments
In short it was a wonderful celebration of the arts with perfect weather in which to enjoy as an added bonus. Lovers of the arts were invited to browse the various areas at their own pace with their families.
The highlight of the event was the unveiling and opening of an 80th anniversary popcorn ball cake made entirely of popcorn ball material with delicious chocolate decorations and filled with 400 wrapped popcorn balls which were distributed to the eager crowd. The four foot wide and four foot tall cake was a special treat from the Campbell Sweet Factory and weighed nearly 250 pounds.
The 2014 Bike for Beck was sponsored by Krylon, Lakewood Hospital and Turner Construction with additional support from AT & F, Dimit Architects, LLC, Discount Drug Mart, Drs. Harter Family Dentistry, First Federal of Lakewood, Hyland Software, Joy Machines, Lakewood Association of Firefighters Local 382, Nature’s Bin, Ride and Workout, The Root Café and Vosh. SAG support provided by Great Lakes React.
Plans are underway for next year’s Bike for Beck and Beck Fest. Keep tuned to http://www.beckcenter.org/ for details.