We all know baking soda as a common ingredient in our favorite recipes such as chocolate chip cookies and other goodies. But baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, has many uses beyond the kitchen. Some of the lesser known applications include supplements in fire extinguishers, neutralizers in science labs, treating allergic reactions such as poison ivy, and the list goes on.
But did you know that keeping a box of baking soda in your bathroom cabinet for beauty needs is more common than you think? Here are a few ways you can use baking soda:
• Teeth Whitening: Combine 2 tablespoons of baking soda with enough hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. This combination will help teeth become whiter. Be sure not to leave the mixture on your teeth for too long your first time, and rinse your mouth with water afterward.
• Remove Shampoo Buildup: Add a tablespoon of baking soda to your regular shampoo to help rid your scalp of buildup and make your hair squeaky clean.
• Healthy Looking Nails: Help keep finger and toe nails white and clean in between polish changes. Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to 1 tablespoon of peroxide and let the paste sit on your nails for 5 minutes.
• Relieve Tired Feet: Add baking soda to water for a relieving foot soak. This will also help with stinky feet!
• Soothing Bath: Add ½ cup of baking soda to 10 drops of essential oils (lavender is a calming smell that is pleasant right before bedtime) and a handful of Epsom salts.