The Beatles announced "The Beatles: Rock Band" will be
released Sept. 9.
The game, which the publicity release calls "an unprecedented, experiential progression through and celebration of the music and artistry of The Beatles," will be available simultaneously in North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and other territories.
"The Beatles: Rock Band," the announcement says, will allow fans to put themselves in the roles of the Beatles by allowing them to play their instruments. According to Variety, 45 songs will be chosen. The game will apparently offer peripherals, similar to those already offered for other Rock Band games, but geared specifically to musical instruments used by the Beatles themselves. This should be interesting -- air guitarists may be really able to imitate Paul (Hofner bass!), George and John. Not to mention all of us who have imitated that drum solo from "Abbey Road" for over 40 years.
The game will be offered as standalone software and hardware, and also as a limited edition bundle. It will be backwards compatible with current Rock Band offerings.
In the U.S., the games for the Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 and Wii will list for $59.99. "The Beatles: Rock Band Standalone Guitars" for the same platforms will retail for $99.99. A limited edition premium bundle will list for $249.99. Pricing outside the U.S. is to be announced later.
"The Beatles: Rock Band" marks the first time all four Beatles have participated in a video game project. (However, it's not the first such Beatle related project. Paul McCartney's "Give My Regards to Broad Street" was once a Commodore 64 game.) As previously announced, "The Beatles: Rock Band" will be published by MTV Games and developed by Harmonix, creator of the best-selling Rock Band®. Electronic Arts will distribute the game. Giles Martin, co-producer of The Beatles "Love" is serving as musical director.
Exclusive content created by Apple Corps, MTV Games and Harmonix will be made available over the next few months. And add this link to your browsers: http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/. It's the beginning of what will probably evolve into be a continuing preview of "The Beatles: Rock Band." Right now, it's a nice shot of the inside of Abbey Road studios with a couple of guitar riffs.
One more note: When the press announcement was made in a conference call with reporters, it was clearly stated that the Beatles game would not be "Rock Band." Interesting that that seems to have turned around. More likely, it was realized that "Rock Band" was the best way to market it.
This is actually just another step in the "Love" school of Beatles marketing. One of these days, maybe, they'll get back to the music as nature intended.
Finally, did anybody notice that release date is 9/9/09? Number nine, number nine, number nine ...
Other perspectives on this story from other Examiners:
- Xbox Examiner: The Beatles: Rock Band hits 9/9/09
- Music Examiner: Beatles do Rock Band or is it vice versa?
- Baltimore Video Game Examiner: The Beatles: Rock Band coming in September
- Video Game Examiner: The Beatles: Rock Band coming September 9, 2009
- Beatle news briefs: Beatle reunion talk starts; Paul at Abbey Road?
- Report: Peter Tork website announces the former Monkee has cancer (with update)
- Official announcement of David Lynch Foundation benefit featuring Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr
- Beatle news briefs: Beatles curriculum a degree of excellence; old rockers (Spinal) tap into tour
- EXCLUSIVE: Tickets for David Lynch Foundation benefit featuring McCartney, Ringo on sale Monday
- Beatle news briefs: Elvis Presley visits Beatles home town
- More rare Beatles photos by Bob Bonis, part III
- Beatle news briefs: Jonas Brothers screams bring back Beatle memories
- More rare Beatles photos by Bob Bonis
- Beatle news briefs; More 'Revolution' thoughts
- Beatle news briefs: more about 'Revolution'; rare Cavern footage?
- Imagine: New John Lennon line features 'green' products for babies
- Beatle news briefs: Deluxe Fireman update; inside the Apple boutique
- The five best decisions the Beatles ever made -- want to guess?
- Beatle news briefs: Is 'Revolution' take a fake?; rare Beatles photos to inaugurate gallery
- Beatle news briefs: EMI pulls the plug on 'Revolution'
- Happy birthday, George Harrison
- You say you want a revolution? New Beatles outtake spurs discussion, analysis on the 'net (Updated)
- On this date in Beatle history - Feb. 23: Ringo socks it to Rowan & Martin (plus Beatle news)
- The Beatles and the Oscars: Few nominations and only one win?
- Beatle news briefs: Listening to Fireman Radio
- Beatle news briefs: Hillary Clinton takes a sad song and makes it hers
- Carnival of De-Light?: Beatle authors, DJs and journalists weigh in on track's possible release
- Beatle news briefs and history for Feb. 20: For the benefit of Mr. Kite
- On this date in Beatle history - Feb. 19 - the lines start forming very early
- Beatle news briefs: The walls of Shea Stadium come tumbling down (updated)
- Yoko's birthday present - see the Imagine peace tower lit right now on her birthday night
- Beatle news briefs: Happy birthday, Yoko; Gerry cross the Mersey
- Meeting Paul McCartney at the Beacon Theatre -- a first-person account in words and pictures
- Beatle news briefs: Pinball blizzard; they took away her Beatles!
- UPDATE: David Lynch Foundation page now confirms both Paul and Ringo to appear (includes late add)
- Beatle news briefs: In an earlier time, Beatle fans could have been pinball wizards
- Beatle news briefs: Ringo and Paul for Radio City; not everyone was shut out of Vegas tix
- EXTRA!!!: Ringo to join Paul McCartney at David Lynch benefit show!!
- John, Paul, Vince and Ringo: A special Ed Sullivan moment
- Goldmine magazine compiles 10 years of Beatle issues on CD-ROM
- GRAMMY UPDATE: Paul McCartney backstage and on stage in words and pictures
- GRAMMY UPDATE: Ringo, Paul strike out on three Grammy noms (with Paul photos)
- JUST IN: McCartney to headline grand opening of The New Joint at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Vegas
- Beatle news briefs: A Colbert outtake; McCartney gets Sirius
- THIS JUST IN: Sirius/XM to launch Paul McCartney Fireman channel with unreleased tracks (updated)
- Beatle news briefs: McCartney deluxe Fireman set delay; Stella shirts update
- EXCLUSIVE: A few very precious moments with Mary Hopkin ('Those Were the Days')
- EXCLUSIVE: A magical mystery tour to the site of the Beatles rooftop concert 40 years later
- Jan. 30, 1969: The day the Beatles went up on the roof (with memories from someone who was there)
- This just in: Paul McCartney, thenewno2 confirmed for Coachella Music Fest
- Julian and Sean Lennon performing together? Not true, says Julian
- Paul McCartney -- the sexiest man alive