Summer can be a real drag, but you can beat the heat with your own homemade flavored water. This is a better alternative than branded bottled flavored waters, as you can make sure that there are no preservatives, artificial sweeteners, or artificial ingredients. Making your own flavored waters insures you know what you are hydrating your body with.
Not only are homemade flavored waters a better alternative soda, but your entire family will enjoy these yummy treats on a hot day. There is no set rule as to what you can put in your water to flavor it, so be creative and try different combinations until you find your favorite. These are perfect for parties and other events as well!
What you need:
· 1 quart jars or bigger for a large batch
· Clean water
· A stirring spoon
· Honey, sugar, agave, or any sweetener you prefer
· Fresh fruit, herbs, and spices of your choice (Note: Bananas don’t work well for this.)
1. Come up with your favorite combination of fruits, herbs, and/or spices. (Lemons, watermelon, strawberries, kiwi, ginger, mint, cayenne pepper, pineapple, basil, limes, cucumber, etc.)
2. Place your chosen ingredients in the bottom of one of the glass jars and crush gently to release the flavors of your ingredients. Don’t crush into pulp, just enough to release the flavors of your ingredients.
3. Fill the jar to the brim with clean water, or use soda water or seltzer if you like it fizzy and plan to drink it right away. Add sweetener to your taste.
4. If using regular water, place lid on jar and refrigerate overnight to let the flavors infuse the water and enjoy cold when thirsty.
Share some of your favorite combinations in the comments section below!