1. Life
  2. Home & Living
  3. Lifestyle

Bear enters home in Bailey, attacks man

Bear stories are creeping up in the mountain news again as active bear season heats up.

Today, a bear was killed in Bailey after entering a home and biting the homeowner. The homeowner had tried to scare the bear away and out of the home.

MOUNTAIN LIVING TIP OF THE DAY: Colorado Division of Wildlife experts urge you to simply exit your home immediately if a bear enters for a visit; don’t try to engage the bear or frighten it away. Unless you enjoy seeing bear teeth up close.

Read the brief news story here from the Denver Post.

Read about what to do if you encounter a bear (outside your home).

Comments

• Lu 4 years ago

Yikes. Wonder if that was one of my next-door neighbors!

• Ryan 4 years ago

Having been face to face with bears at our house, I can clearly say it's exciting and dangerous at the same time!

• JR Bailey Casper Coffee Examiner 4 years ago

Hey Kathy,

Sorry, but whether two legged or four legged invaders, someone/thing enters my home uninvited, they'll be getting the 1911 or 12ga. treatment.

The Founders based our country on the self-reliance of citizens taking care of ourselves and the existence of the constabulary for those instances when overwhelming force was needed to meet overwhelming force.

Bear or human, it may make it inside the house, but getting back OUT?

Ah, now there's the rub!

Mulligan bear stew all around.....and we can make a run to town for some quality Cognac using the rendered bear fat in the diesel rig!

Cheers from Wyoming.

• Herman 4 years ago

Make sure that your doors and windows are strong and locked!

• Linda W 4 years ago

That's too exciting for me! I hope there aren't any who would try to get in RV.

• sue 4 years ago

Oh my that makes me nervous! Feel sorry for the bear but when it comes down to me and my family or him---it would have to be him!

• Leslie 4 years ago

Ryan: I thought bears just needed a little love?

Hear that Div. of Wildlife advice, Kathy? Don't try to engage the bear! I know you!

• Patty 4 years ago

I have been told that if you encounter a bear and you are with a friend....make sure that you can run the fastest!!! All joking aside, do heed the advise above.

Life

• Dan Savage
    Dan Savage cares about LGBT youth, bullying and saving lives
    Today's Buzz
  • Raku
    Teachers and students can use this summer to learn a new skill
    Camera
    15 Photos
  • Beach body
    Fitness: Earn your beach body badge with bootcamp classes
    Camera
    10 Photos
  • Greek wine
    Unwind with these delicious wines: The thrilling wines of Greece
    Camera
    7 Photos
  • Mandy Moore
    Exclusive interview with Celebrity Mandy Moore concerning animal activism
    Camera
    5 Photos
  • Educational family vacations
    Find out how to take an educational family vacation that doesn't break the bank
    Camera