Ready for some fun in the sun? Summertime is the perfect time to plan a party at the beach or pool. Just add water for instant fun!
**Note: This party also works well as a birthday party, team party or class party!**
Be sure to include a cell phone number if the party is at a public beach or pool, so that guests can call if they have trouble finding the party.
- Write invitation on a flip-flop, Frisbee, or beach ball
- Attach an invitation that reads, “Let’s make a splash!” to a pool toy
- Print invitation on an adhesive sticker and attach it to a sand pail and shovel
- Roll up an invitation inside a bottle with some sand and shells
Find the BEST BEACHES for parties:
- FunOrangeCountyParks.com (reviews, facilities, directions and more!)
Don’t have your own pool? Not to worry, here are some PERFECT POOLS for parties:
- Aliso Viejo Aquatic Center
- Swim Venture (Locations throughout Orange County)
- Waterworks (Irvine)-- Indoor pool parties (great in any weather):
- Balloons (helps guest find the party)
- Beach balls
- Inflatables (fish, animals, rings or mats)
- Pool & sand toys
Even with guests that can swim, it is important to set up a safety guard system for added protection. Hire a lifeguard or have adults take shifts as a safety guard. The adult on safety guard should sit alone to focus on the water and wear a whistle and/or hat to signify that they are committed to watching the water.
- Decorate a Frisbee: Use stickers and permanent markers to decorate these fun flying disks.
- Personalize visors or sunglasses: Use foam stickers, permanent markers or adhesive jewels to decorate and then they are ready to wear.
- Watermelon slices
- Grapes (place in a bag of ice to keep grapes crisp and cool!)
- Rice Krispie treats (These can be iced and decorated in a 9x13” pan like a cake…but easier to eat, no plate and fork needed!)
- Hot dogs & S’mores (if a fire pit or grill is available)
- Or, pack a sack lunch for each guest …easy to pass out and enjoy by the water!
- Use Your Noodle: Relay across the pool riding a noodle float toy (can also be done using an inflatable mat or ring)
- Penny Dive: Toss a ton of pennies (hey, it’s just $1 for 100) into the pool and have guests try to collect as many as they can.
- T-Shirt Race: Race across the pool wearing t-shirts over their bathing suits. This can also be done as a relay where wet t-shirts must be passed to the next teammate (very tricky!).
- Make a Splash: See who can jump into the pool and make the biggest splash…cannonballs, belly flops, anything goes! (Note: Be sure to confirm that the pool is deep enough for diving!)
- Pool Volleyball: Divide into teams for a fun volleyball game in the pool.
- Relay Races: Every relay is more challenging while running in the sand! Try having teams run to the water’s edge with a cup and bring it back to fill a bucket with water.
- Sand Castle Challenge: Find out which guest can build the tallest sand tower in a designated amount of time using only their hands.
- Frisbee Golf: Toss a Frisbee to hit markers. Lowest score wins!
- Limbo: Challenge guests bend and walk under a pole or rope without touching the ground.
- Beach Volleyball: Use a net at the beach, set up your own or just draw a line in the sand and play with a beach ball!
- Zinc Oxide in bright colors
- Pool toys (inflatables, diving toys, balls, etc.)
- Beach games (Smash ball, Velcro catch ball, etc.)
- Sand toys (Pails, shovel)
Check out more of Alii’s outdoor party ideas here!
Want to Pep Up your parties? Just click on the “SUBSCRIBE” button above to receive email alerts when Alii’s latest articles are available.