Criminal usually rely upon the element of surprise. Those potential victims, however, who are aware of stalking criminals well before their attack, will have a better chance to avoid the attacks or to flee from them.
Criminals prefer to victimize individuals, for example, who are:
- Impaired by alcohol or drugs.
- Wearing earphones and listening to music.
- Talking or texting on a cell phone.
There are times, however, when it is safe and healthy to be totally absorbed in pleasures such as a movie, a daydream, or a song. When in a safe environment, such as at home and among friends, less environmental awareness is appropriate and restful. A safe environment is similar to the green light of a stoplight.
When there is danger in your environment, however, these dangers should bring about caution similar to the way a yellow light provokes caution at a stoplight. Examples of possible dangers in environments might include:
- A stranger walking in your neighborhood between midnight and four a.m..
- A stranger who is continually driving slowly around your neighborhood.
- A stranger sitting in a parked car in your neighborhood for an extended period of time.
- A person loitering in a parking lot and not moving toward a store or toward a car.
When a danger is imminent, the situation is similar to the red light of a stoplight. To avoid becoming a victim, you should take action. Examples of such imminent dangers might be:
- A stranger who is fast approaching you as you are about to open your apartment door and to enter your apartment.
- A creepy person on the street who makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck, and who is rapidly closing the distance between him and you.
- A drunken stranger who is without laundry and who is loitering in your apartment laundry room.
- A person who is not a customer and who is loitering around the pumps of an inner city gas station at night.
- A strange person who is pushing all of the buttons at the buzz in panel of your apartment building.
- A strange person who attempts to follow you into your apartment building after you buzz yourself into your building.
The above are just a few of the situations that call for awareness to avoid becoming a victim. What situations can you add? Please comment below.