Skip to main content
  1. Leisure
  2. Autos & Motorcycles
  3. Auto Reviews

Be careful while this black ice is around

See also

I wanted to remind everyone that lives in the Reno/Tahoe region, please be careful and take more time getting places while there is black ice on the roads. This is a very good article on how to drive on black ice. A sentence that caught my eye is that it does not have to be below freezing temperatures for black ice to develop. Check out this article at the following web link here:

http://www.howtodothings.com/automotive/a3240-how-to-drive-on-black-ice....

The Reno Gazette-Journal just pointed out that from 6pm last night to this morning, there were over forty accidents. This is a good wake up call to remind you to be careful on those roads, even if you are using your vehicle for something other than making your morning or evening commutes.

Another thing to keep in mind is that black ice can form anywhere, it doesn't just have to be on the valley floor. There could be black ice on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere, even your own driveway or street may have a small patch of black ice.

According to the NOAA weather forecast that I am seeing at the moment that I am typing this article, for Reno there is supposed to be a chance of snow showers from Wednesday night into Saturday night. When I type Truckee, CA in, they say a 10 percent chance of snow on Wednesday, 30 percent chance of snow on Wednesday evening, and then 60% chance of snow on Thursday and Thursday evening. For Fallon, NV, they are saying a 20 percent chance of snow on Thursday and a 30 percent chance of snow on Thursday evening. Feel free to type in your city and state on this website to find out the weather forecast for your area:

http://www.noaa.gov/

The only reason that I am bringing up the weather forecasts in this article is that the black ice will continue, and start to plan ahead for future morning and evening commutes that you take to and from work. I would suggest taking alternate side streets if you don't want to be held up in traffic accidents that occur on the highway. Most people are used to taking certain roads that lead to and from your workplace, child care where you have to drop your kids off, schools, any stores you need to go to on the way home, you name it. Start looking at alternate routes, even if you have to look at something like Google Earth or a folding map that you have.

Drive safe, and have a great rest of your week.

Advertisement

Leisure

  • Corned beef
    Find out how to prepare a classic corned beef recipe in a slow cooker
    Video
    Slow Cooker Tips
  • Left handed eating
    Find out why you should never eat with your left hand
    Video
    Wives Tale
  • Subway message
    Subway customer finds 'Big Mama' written on her order
    Video
    Subway Message
  • Deviled eggs
    This is the only deviled egg recipe you’ll need this Easter
    Delicious Eggs
  • Natural solutions
    Natural beauty: All natural solutions to life's little beauty headaches
    Camera
    Natural Solutions
  • Chocolate souffle
    Love chocolate? Get tips on making the perfect chocolate souffle every time
    Video
    Recipe 101

User login

Log in
Sign in with your email and password. Or reset your password.
Write for us
Interested in becoming an Examiner and sharing your experience and passion? We're always looking for quality writers. Find out more about Examiner.com and apply today!