The BCS rankings released their third installment on Sunday and as expected, Florida State jumped over the Oregon Ducks after their impressive win over Miami. Alabama remained number one and Oregon dropped to number three. The flip flopping of teams from week to week highlights the stupidity of the BCS system.
Oregon didn’t play, didn’t lose, yet they dropped before their big game against Stanford. This is only a week after Florida State dropped for beating down North Carolina State. In that game, the Seminoles scored 35 first quarter points. If Oregon can pull out a win on Thursday, the numbers will likely put them back in the second spot of the BCS.
Miami fell out of the top 10 and dropped to 11th in the BCS. This is key because the Canes have a chance to win out and play Florida State again in the ACC championship. If all goes well, Miami could be back in the top five during conference championship weekend.
Fresno State is sitting at number 16.
1. Alabama: Right now, Alabama is untouchable because of their past performance. Although that’s not supposed to be the criteria, it seems to be working for Alabama. Their best win is over two loss Texas A&M and that good win over Virginia Tech is not worth anything right now. Alabama does have some nice games coming up. Next game vs. LSU.
2. Florida State: The Seminoles dominate in the computer rankings and that is the reason they are number two in the BCS. Florida State has beaten two top 10 teams in grand fashion. Now their schedule takes the turn for the worse. As of now, no team on the schedule has a winning record. Next game vs. Wake Forest
3. Oregon: The Ducks have a big statement game on Thursday. During the bye week, there was a feeling that Oregon would fall below the Seminoles and that’s what happened. However, if they beat Stanford, Oregon should be back at number two in the BCS. They have a lot riding on this game, including the PAC 12 North title. Next game vs. Stanford.
4. Ohio State: Braxton Miller has led Ohio State to crushing victories over their last two opponents. After back to back 10 point victories, the Buckeyes took the critics words to heart. They’ve outscored Penn State and Purdue 119-14. Expect another blowout. Next game vs. Illinois.
5. Stanford: The Cardinal have one loss and it was to Utah. Their best wins were over Arizona State and UCLA. Still, the Cardinal are the highest ranked one loss team. If they finish with one loss, they’ll be a strong contender for the BCS championship. Next game vs. Oregon.
6. Baylor: The Bears closest win has been by 10 points. They definitely face their toughest test of the season on Thursday. Baylor’s last loss was to Oklahoma and they’ve won 11 straight since. Let’s see how strong the defense really is. Baylor could be the x-factor in the BCS picture. Next game vs. Oklahoma.
7. Clemson: The offense finally got back on track and it seems their loss to FSU is forgotten. They have a bye week to get ready for Georgia Tech. That will be the most important game of the season.
8. Missouri: The Tigers bounced back with a win over Tennessee. They still have a one game lead over the Gamecocks in the SEC East, but they probably have to win out. Next game vs. Kentucky.
9. Auburn: They are actually in the running for the SEC West title. Auburn does have a trap game at Tennessee before finishing up the SEC schedule with home games. Next game at Tennessee.
10. Oklahoma: The Sooners already lost one game that they should have won. That loss to Texas is haunting, but it’s not stopping them from playing in a top 10 road game on Thursday. Their defense better be ready from the start. Next game vs. Baylor.