The initial BCS rankings for 2013 were released on Sunday night. As expected, the Alabama Crimson Tide come in at number one. Though it’s early in the process, the much anticipated game with Oregon would be put on the back burner. After Florida State’s win over Clemson, the Seminoles found themselves at number two in the BCS, ahead of the Oregon Ducks. Ohio State and Missouri round out the top five.
Here is the breakdown of the BCS rankings on CBSsportsline.com.
1. Alabama: The Crimson Tide are number one after beating Arkansas. There are very few teams that have a chance to beat Alabama on the schedule. Next game vs. Tennessee.
2. Florida State: The Seminoles are on the inside track to represent the ACC Atlantic in the conference title game. If they win out, would that be enough to hold off an undefeated Oregon Ducks? They won the big one, but it was at this spot last year when Florida State stumbled. Next game vs. North Carolina State.
3. Oregon: They’ve increased the amount of points given up each week. The toughest part of their schedule is starting now. If they win out, it will almost be impossible to leave them out of the title game. Next game vs. UCLA.
4. Ohio State: The Buckeyes get no respect for winning. They have not lost under Urban Meyer, yet there’s a ho-hum perception about the program. Next game vs. Penn State.
5. Missouri: The Tigers are benefiting from the SEC name greatly. The best records of the teams they beat are (4-3). Their biggest victories came over teams with consecutive losses. Missouri can prove a lot next week. Next game vs. South Carolina.
6. Stanford: The Cardinal bounced back nicely from their only loss. The win over UCLA has them in prime position to win the PAC 12. They are the highest ranked one loss team. Next game vs. Oregon State
7. Miami: They escaped North Carolina on Thursday night and received a whole lot of hate. It was just a sign of things to come for other top ranked teams. The next few weeks are huge. Next game vs. Wake Forest.
8. Baylor: The Bears score so fast, people don’t know what to do with them. They have a dominant running game, and explosive passing game. They’ve scored 69 or more six times. Next game vs. Kansas.
9. Clemson: The Tigers need to regroup after getting demolished by Florida State. They are still in the top 10 because of all the losses. Next game vs. Maryland
10. Texas Tech: The Red Raiders remain undefeated with the win at West Virginia. They’ve used defense and two freshman quarterbacks to win this season. We’ll see how good they are in the next month. Next game vs. Oklahoma.
14. Virginia Tech
16. Texas A&M
17. Fresno State
18. Northern Illinois
19. Oklahoma State
21. South Carolina
25. Oregon State