With lots of different food and drink options and plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, San Pedro Square Market is the perfect place to spend a Saturday afternoon.
On February 8, 2014 from 2 to 6 p.m. there are even more reasons to make it to the market as San Pedro Square Market will host a food competition where six San Pedro Square chefs each compete with a small plate. There will also be a drink to go with each dish. The dishes and the drinks will be judged by the public as well as by judges, and the event is called Battledish and is organized by the creators of Dishcrawl. Over the years, Dishcrawl has organized many innovative and fun food events that bring the community together, and it sounds like Battledish will be another tasty and fun time.
Tickets to Battledish are $15 and can be purchased online. Small plates and drinks are priced at $5 each. Participants can decide which dishes and drinks they want to try. There are also packages that can be purchased. The teaser package includes admission plus six tickets and costs $40. The gourmand package includes admission and 12 tickets and costs $65.
Those who want to get in on the action an hour early can purchase the VIP package, which lets them in at 1 p.m. VIPs also get 12 tickets to try a small plate and a drink at each stop as well as a swag bag. VIP packages are $125.
And now the mouthwatering dishes that the Battledish chefs will prepare:
1. Konjoe Burger Bar, Joey Camacho: Mary's free-range crispy fried chicken with secret sauce and rub.
2. Bray Butcher Block & Bistro, Josh Hanoka: pulled pork slider on Hawaiian bun with blue cheese bacon slaw
3. Treatbot, Ryan & Christine Sebastian: trio of ice cream and cookies; their famous 408, orange-pineapple sorbet, and Rosie's Date ice cream with almond waffle & cinnamon sugar cookies.
4. On a Roll, Victor Le: pork meatballs with honey tamarind sauce and spring roll with housemade peanut sauce
5. Loteria Taco Bar, Carlos Perez: tempura cod taco topped with pickled slaw & chipotle cream
6. SP2 Communal Bar & Restaurant, Ryan Melchiano (owner): ginger soy glazed ribs with cabbage & bok choy slaw
Drinks & Cocktails by San Pedro Square Market's Brian Rhett
Finally, here are the categories participants get to vote the dishes on: Most Delicious, Most Authentic, Best Modern, Most Creative, Best Cocktail.
Sounds like February 8 will be a very tasty afternoon at the San Pedro Square Market!
To let me know about upcoming restaurant and food events in the South Bay, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you enjoyed this article and would like to receive updates whenever a new article is published, please click on the subscribe button at the top of this post.
To get updates via Twitter, follow me at @wellandrea.