October is the month of short school weeks. This week is no exception. On Friday, all county school systems are closed Friday for the Maryland State Teacher's Convention. Howard County Schools have a half-day on Thursday, as well.
Here's some activities to keep the kids busy this weekend.
Maryland Science Center--Stargazing
- When: Every Friday, 7:00-10:30pm (weather permitting).
- Venture out to the urban rooftop Observatory to view the night sky as our staff help you find planets and constellations.
- Tickets: Stargazing is free and open to the public.
- Admission to the Science Center is not required.
- Please phone 410-545-2999 before your visit to check on viewing conditions.
- Special Event: On Friday, October 18, come to the "Observe the Moons Night" from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Join MSC staff and guests from the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab to enjoy a view of the Earth’s Moon and other moon related fun.
- When: October 19-20, 2013, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Traditional autumn happenings include apple butter making, farm machinery demonstrations, tractor and mule pulled wagon rides, scarecrow making, and children's games.
- Country food and crafts for sale, on-stage entertainment, and a giant pumpkin contest!
- Where: Farm Museum,500 S. Center St., Westminster, MD (Carroll County).
- Go to Farm Museum website.
- tickets: Buy at the door. $5/adults; $4. 7-18 and 60+; and children 6 and under are free.
Baltimore Basketball Classic
- The Washington Wizards will play the New York KnicksPresented by Jimmy's Famous Seafood
- Thursday, October 17, 2013
- Location: Baltimore Arena
- Torrey Smith and Ray Rice will be on hand for tip-off.
- Tickets: Buy tickets here. Use code TORREY at checkout and $1 will be donated to BARCS--Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter!
- Other events at the Baltimore Arena in October include: October 26, Shogun Fights IX; October 27, Pearl Jam; October 30- Nov. 3, Disney on Ice.