Mardi Gras has been an iconic and honored holiday in the city of New Orleans since the 1720s, but did you know that the celebrations haven't always included the elaborate parades and floats to which we've become accustomed? It wasn't until 1856 that an anonymous group paraded down the streets of the city with uniquely crafted floats.
Each of the Mardi Gras parades brings the magic of these one-of-a-kind floats to all who are celebrating, including those stationed on Bourbon Street or visitors and locals in search of a more off-the-beaten-path New Orleans experience. This year, if you can’t celebrate in New Orleans or on Bourbon Street, be sure to do yourself a favor by mixing up a handcrafted bourbon cocktail inspired by the rich history and flavors of the city itself.
Basil Hayden's Cajun Sazerac marries the authentic Cajun flavors of New Orleans with the trademark, spicy finish of Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon to create a modern twist on the classic New Orleans cocktail, the Sazerac. If you prefer a sweeter taste, the Knob Creek® Bourbon Street Nightmare combines the robust flavor of Knob Creek with orange juice in a classic hurricane glass.
Basil Hayden’s® Cajun Sazerac
Created by Brittini Rae Peterson (Los Angeles)
2 parts Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon
1/2 part Cajun Spice Syrup*
5 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters
2 dashes Angostura® Bitters
Sprig of Thyme
1. Combine all ingredients into a mixing glass with ice.
2. Stir until well chilled and strain into a cocktail glass.
3. Garnish with the zest of a lemon a sprig of thyme.
*Cajun Spice Syrup
1 cup Water
1 cup Sugar
1 tbsp. Cajun Spice
1. Combine all three ingredients in a saucepan and warm.
2. Stir until sugar and Cajun Spice are fully dissolved into the water.
3. Strain into an empty container and set aside.
Knob Creek® Bourbon Street Nightmare
3 parts Knob Creek® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
3 parts orange juice
½ part blood orange syrup
1. Place all ingredients in a Hurricane glass over ice, mix well. Drizzle blood orange syrup over top.
2. Garnish with a black licorice stick.