With pitchers and catchers reporting this week for spring training and the baseball season just around the corner, it is time to start getting in the mood for America’s favorite pastime. What better way to do this than by cooking some of your favorite baseball park foods? Here is a quick and easy recipe to make funnel cakes at home.
· 2-4 cups of oil (canola is preferable)
· 2 cups of milk
· 1 egg, beaten
· 1 teaspoon of vanilla
· 2 cups of all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoon of salt
· 3 teaspoons of baking powder (can substitute 1 teaspoon of baking soda, but the cakes will not be quite as fluffy)
· 1 and ¼ tablespoons of sugar
· ½ stick (4 tablespoons) of melted butter
· Powdered sugar for topping the funnel cakes after they are finished
1. Start by putting the oil in a deep skillet and putting it on the stove over medium-high to high heat. You will know the oil is the perfect temperature when you can sprinkle a pinch of flour in the skillet and it fizzles right away without smoking.
2. In a medium size bowl combine the milk, egg and vanilla.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
4. Gradually combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl while beating the mixture together. Continue beating until a smooth batter forms.
5. Fold the melted butter into the mixture until it has dissipated.
6. Pour batter into a squeeze bottle, pastry bag or a large Ziploc with the very tip of one of the corners cut off.
7. Squeeze batter in a circular web-like pattern into the skillet.
8. Fry for 2-3 minutes (you can flip the cake if desired) until gold brown.
9. Remove and dust with powdered sugar, ice cream, whipped cream or any other toppings you desire.
This recipe will yield anywhere from six to ten funnel cakes depending on how big you make each one.